Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help Needed with Kenmore, Please & Thank You >

Help Needed with Kenmore, Please & Thank You

Help Needed with Kenmore, Please & Thank You

Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM

Question Help Needed with Kenmore, Please & Thank You

I have my mothers Old Kenmore, Model 1913/1815 which says to "pull" the wheel out to wind the bobbin then push it in when finished to start sewing.
The problem is the wheel won't pull out. I can unscrew the the small screw on the shiney silver end but I'm afraid to take it all the way out. Is it safe to do so and do I need to oil something inside???
I've done very few mechanical service/repairs so any Help will be appreciated!

Thanks, and have a blessed day, Jennifer
Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Jennifer, I have a 1803, and I believe that your machine is very much like mine. Go to YouTube and watch this video and see if it helps you.
How to fill a bobbin on a Kenmore vintage sewing machine
Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM

I guess the top comes off on your Kenmore model, they usually do. Under there are points that need oiling. If it does there are visible joints in the parts and there is a screw or two involved; some models are hinged in the back and you just push it up in front. These old machines were meant to be cleaned and oiled by the user.

If it's a freearm model, the top of the freearm usually comes off too, the same for the face plate; these are parts needs regular cleaning and oiling. On flat beds you usually unscrew the needle plate and get to parts from under.

The bobbin winder usually runs on the back of the hand wheel, and parts can need cleanign and oiling. You might need to take of the hand wheel, some times it's easy to get to the parts when the top is off.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 PM

The top just pops off. Lift it at the front like opening a jewelry box then pull it up and off. Lots of oiling points. If necessary the right end can also be taken off. There are probably 2 small screws to remove at the top of the end after the top is removed. Don't be afraid- Kenmores are sturdy machines.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 PM

I've oiled this machine before and it runs good except for the bobbin winding.

I promise to Not take a hammer to it, LOL IF however that is the only way to loosen up the end wheel, that might be my exception. I shall "forge" ahead. Thanks Monroe for the "don't be afraid", I guess I'm afraid of breaking it.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Jennifer, I'm assuming that my advice did not help you. I just wanted to mention that I once had an issue with my 1803 where nothing would move, and it turned out that a belt had become dislodged. I accessed it by opening up the handwheel and then I moved the belt back into place. There is a tiny hole in the end cap of the handwheel, and if you put a small screwdriver or an awl in there and use it as a lever, it will pop right off. It snaps back into place easily. The housing of a few of these 158 Kenmores is identical or almost identical, so I'm pretty sure your model resembles my 1803. If you are interested in pusuing whether or not your belt needs attention, just google how to open the machine and also how to access the belt. I hope this will help you to determine what the problem is. Also, Sears online should have the schematic of your model.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 PM

I took the top off and oiled everything then I tilted it up, as it's in a cabinet, and oiled the bottom plus the fly wheel in two places. It runs good.
I also figured out the bobbin metal tab only works when it barely touches the edge of the bobbin. So, I got it to wind but the front knobs are near impossible to turn.
Since it does work, I will donate it to a tax deductible resale shop here in town. They help women in need.
Thanks for everyone who tried to help.
Ps, I did watch the YouTube video. My booklet says to pull the flywheel knob and mine won't.....but I did wind one bobbin.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:13 AM

The front knobs need oiling. Take a flashlight and shine it from top to bottom in the front where the knobs do not move. This will be from inside the machine. You will be looking at the back side of the knobs. You will see where the gears connect at the bottom. Oil each one separately and slowly start moving the knobs. They will work loose and be fine. I have had trouble with this issue in the past. You may have to take the bottom off the machine to get to the gear. I like to use a longarm quilting ruler, as it has a long snout on it for oiling tight places. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks Carol Jean. I might do that. Tonight I found a box of cams and then a box of button hole things with some other stuff that I'm not sure what they do.
I might re-think giving this away, but I'm so use to using a leg lift with the modern machines I'm not sure if I can do without it.
Wish I knew someone that wanted to learn to sew or was looking for a second machine in-case their other goes down.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:44 PM

Try turning the knob on the fly wheel first then pull it out. That will disengage the fly wheel so the needle doesn't go up and down when winding the bobbin.