Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No  pedal sewing machine >

No pedal sewing machine

No pedal sewing machine

Old 10-18-2016, 06:42 AM

Default No pedal sewing machine

Looking for basic sewing machine that will work without the foot pedal for a friend. Her feet and ankles don't work well at all. She's tried with my computerized kenmore and my treadle. No joy. She would really like to learn to sew but just can't use the pedal!! Don't have much money to put in to this either. Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 AM

Don't know about price, but how about one with a knee lever or a vintage one with a hand crank.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:21 AM

She needs both hands to guide the fabric. I tried tapeing the pedal to the side so she could use her knee instead of her foot but she doesn't seem to have the coordination to make it work. She has a embroidery machine that's a push button but it's mostly hands free. Thanks for the ideas! Now I want a hand crank!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 AM

Janome has a couple of machines that have start/stop buttons that make it possible not to use the foot pedal... and still sew hands free for working with the fabric. Check them out.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM

I had an inexpensive Brother machine that I bought several year ago with a foot pedal and a push button on the front face of the machine. I bought it at Walmart.
http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewing/simplicity/ The SB700T is one for under $250.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:58 AM

I grew up using a Singer that had a knee pedal. Maybe one of those would work
Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 AM

There are inexpensive machines by both Brother and Singer that have the Start/Stop button. Check the usual places (including Wal-Mart and Amazon). I actually really like using mine for free motion quilting because it's easier to coordinate my hand movements without worrying about what my foot is doing (LOL). The machines also usually have speed control which sounds like it would be great for your friend.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 AM

I have this one for a class machine - It has a decent stitch and a push button but I have never used that feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featu.../dp/B000JQM1DE

You could also check Craigslist - as lots of the newer computer machines have push buttons or I did a google search and found this:

http://www.allbrands.com/categories/1940

There are several that are lower in cost and one even for $99.

Last edited by eparys; 10-18-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM

Thank you! She's planning to go to a dealer to test drive a janome and a singer next week. It's a two hour drive. Maybe we can get a second hand for her to start on!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 AM

I have the Brother CS6000i and it was about $140 on line. I have used it exclusively until I got another Brother. I never use the foot pedal. I like how slow you can adjust it to go and the button sewing feature. Just upgraded to a better Brother and use the button on that one too. It has the knee lift and I have never even taken it out from under the tray. Makes my life easier to not have to try and adjust my speed with my foot. That little CS6000i has sewn many quilts and gone on numerous retreats. I would not be without it. If it dies I will try to get another one. I like my new Brother also but it is too big for me to tote.