Adult male gifts

Old 10-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

i want to get the flashlights that they have on TV, the ones that don't break and are good thru all weather. Thanks for the reminder Marge.
Today, i saw some bags of nuts at Walmart. I'll fill my sons stocking with things like that. Different types of candy,nuts,protein bars and gift certs for lunch.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:51 PM

I made "damnit dolls" one year for all the guys in my family. They went over big.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:40 PM

I made myself a wallet out of a rocket fabric that gets a lot of notice. Find an interest-related fabric and make one of those.

Tate
Old 10-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

The fact that it's such a struggle to come up with a useful and appropriate gift just shows that we all have way too much "stuff". Most adult men just go and buy what they want, when they want it... making the chore of coming up with a gift even harder. For the guy who already has everything, maybe he would appreciate a gift in his name, such as the gifts you can buy from Samaritan's Purse and the like... Goats, chickens, etc. for families who would raise them, or money towards a clean water well for a town in a foreign country? And there are always medical needs. Sam.'s Purse puts out a whole catalog of things that you could buy in your loved one's name.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I love making messenger bags for men. Smaller ones with a foam padded insert for their Ipad. I use an adjustable strap and usually a very plain fabric for the exterior - a khaki canvas, a brown bottomweight or a denim. Then I often do something crazy on the inside. My SIL is in the video game industry, so I lined his with Marvel comics fabric (not on the underside of the flap, just in insides). A nephew is a fishermen, so his has a thin vinyl lining (waterproof) and fishing fabric. They will always have their electronic devices and their phones, so this is a way to carry them, even if only in the car. Since the first one, my SIL has requested a larger one for taking to work. They can beW called messenger bags, satchels or just bags, but please don't call them man purses!
What pattern do you use?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Each year I just google "gifts under ??? for couples/men/women" and get many interesting ideas even if I just jump off on something else from there.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i want to get the flashlights that they have on TV, the ones that don't break and are good thru all weather. Thanks for the reminder Marge.
Today, i saw some bags of nuts at Walmart. I'll fill my sons stocking with things like that. Different types of candy,nuts,protein bars and gift certs for lunch.
Gas cards are nice, too for stocking stuffers.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:33 PM

My son really enjoys theater, so his favorite gifts from me have been "tickets" to go see a show (in quotes because it was more just a note to pick out any show, any time, and I'd get the tickets and we'd go out for dinner). We had to drive 5 hours (each way) to go see one of the shows, but he still talks about that one.

Other things I've done-- an "organ transport" lunchbox filled with his favorite candies, corn nuts, jerky, and a few unique items (bacon band aids, Monty Python note pad, etc)

I bought an R2-D2 bento lunch "box" for my niece and found out later that my brother stole it to use for himself.

Thinkgeek.com has a lot of stuff.

My mom knits socks and my BIL really likes them. He wants 100% wool and it's been hard for him to find the socks in stores here.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

The gift my Mom gave to my husband that he still talks about - 18 frozen apple pies!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
The fact that it's such a struggle to come up with a useful and appropriate gift just shows that we all have way too much "stuff". Most adult men just go and buy what they want, when they want it... making the chore of coming up with a gift even harder. For the guy who already has everything, maybe he would appreciate a gift in his name, such as the gifts you can buy from Samaritan's Purse and the like... Goats, chickens, etc. for families who would raise them, or money towards a clean water well for a town in a foreign country? And there are always medical needs. Sam.'s Purse puts out a whole catalog of things that you could buy in your loved one's name.
Those are great ideas. We have fixed up those Christmas Boxes for the girls and boys, and also sent what we could to them