Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for hand pieced portable projects >

Suggestions for hand pieced portable projects

Suggestions for hand pieced portable projects

Old 10-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Banned

Default Suggestions for hand pieced portable projects

My dad is having triple bypass surgery next week. I expect lots of wait time. Does anyone have suggestions for projects I can complete while we wait? I'm bored with hexagons. I've completed a boat load of them. I need something different. Suggestions on what I work on for the next week or two? Thanks! Bonnie
Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 AM

My go to portable projects are always some type of applique.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:18 AM

Yo-yos are mindless too.....go to Pinterest and check out some handwork projects....
Old 10-29-2016, 08:25 AM

Any of the hand piecing from www.inklingo.com. or a hand applique project?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM

Are you tired of hexagons, or of EPP in general? I recently started a Passacaglia quilt from Willyne Hammerstein's first book. I'm having a great time!

If you're just tired of EPP, maybe try some appliqué? I'm not ready for hand appliqué, but I've been working on a McKenna Ryan fusible project, and cutting out the shapes after applying the fusible web can take ages.

Embroidery is another nice option. A redwork or bluework project is very portable, since you only have to bring one shade of thread.

I hope your dad is okay. That's a tough surgery, with a long recovery, but worth it in the long run.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

​How about some Redwork or embroidery squares?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 AM

If you like to hand embroidery, perhaps prepare some blocks to embroider. Redwork comes to mind. You don't have to switch colors and if you have the pattern already drawn, you can easily pick it up and start sewing. I'd prepare whatever blocks you are doing ahead of time. Then, when you are done with them, sew together into a quilt. I've made at least 6 of the "12 Days of Christmas" wall hangings in redwork......you don't have to pay attention when stitching.

Or, if you like to crochet or knit...take your bag and do some afghans. I've done that before in the hospital, but the balls of yarn can be cumbersome to lug around. I did Project Linus sized afghans and used patterns that utilized many colors (scraps of beauty or a harlequin pattern)...that way I was able to use up that stash.

If you hand-quilt, you could take your round hoop and quilt it (as long as the quilt itself is not huge and cumbersome).

Whatever will keep your hands busy without too much equipment to carry.....and allow you to be interrupted without you losing your place.

Prayers for your father's successful surgery and speedy recovery. Be sure to take care of yourself, rest and drink lots of water.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:56 AM

Hand piece "Y" seam blocks like LeMoyne stars.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM

I was also thinking about embroidery of some kind. I like to take a Sashiko project with me when I travel or have to wait somewhere because I only need one type/color of thread,

I don't need a hoop, and it's just a simple, repetitive running stitch. Also, everything fits into a small plastic box or Ziploc bag that goes in my purse.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Tumbling blocks, the Millifiore quilt, Lucy Boston blocks, embroidery or applique are all great travel projects