Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable hand project to take on holiday? Help!! >

Portable hand project to take on holiday? Help!!

Portable hand project to take on holiday? Help!!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Cool Portable hand project to take on holiday? Help!!

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Hiya,

We are off on hols in 3 weeks and I'd like to take a small project to hand sew along with my knitting and embroidery.

I was thinking along the lines of English paper piecing, but am a bit bored of hexies.

I am a novice quilter - have done a few by machine and did some hexie fabric to cover a chair.

I wonder if you could point me in the direction of somewhere I can find patterns or ideas or perhaps you can suggest something?

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

I have 2 hand piecing prjects that I take along
1. Dresden Plate in 30s fabric - I rarely take it as have found I hate doing it (English PP)
2. Jo Morton's Snowballs in Harvest in repro fabrics - love this one
I also have been making a GFG for my grandson with family fabrics. It's to be a crib quilt. He turned 20 last Wednesday.
Maybe it'll get done in time for his first born.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM

I have embroidered blocks I travel with. When they are all embroidered they will become a quilt. This might be a good time to find an easy applique project to do or make yoyos to use as embellishments. Yoyos with a button added make cute looking flowers. I use template plastic and cut out circles in different sizes and put scraps in a bag and take them along. Draw the circle with a pencil and cut out. My DH usually does most of the driving on trips. So I cut and stitch while he drives. Clotilde's has some plastic templates to make cloth flowers that might be fun for a three dimensional effect on a future quilt or bag.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM

I am new to applique and have been taking blocks along to work on. I purchased a small metal lunch box to keep all my supplies in - a block fits nicely on top of the supplies. The box is getting full as I add new "must haves" and I may have to upsize to a larger lunch box. I am currently working on a balloon bouquet block - 23 circles - 1" - on each block and then the strings to hold the balloon bouquet with - not sure how many I will make - the directions were only for the block not a whole quilt. This satisfies my applique and embroidery tastes. I also save up binding projects to take for handwork. It is almost always a chance for show and tell with strangers too.

Last edited by w7sue; 06-09-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: changed wording
Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Working with wool is a new love of mine. It's extremely portable and the needle goes through the wool "like buttah"! There are tons of small project patterns out there and you can find precut pieces of wool, or felt your own from Goodwill clothing finds.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:23 PM

I have 2 hand project on the go at the moment, appliqued blocks and also these scrappy blocks which will eventually become a quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t180591.html
What abot a tumbling blocks quilt?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:47 PM

I'm working on a stained glass picture block for a large cushion which is interesting. We go away in our Motorhome a couple of times a year and I was thinking I'd do another stained glass large pic when we're next 'on the road'.
Annie
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM

I just finished my machine stitching for a Stupendous Stitching piece to take along to NY. I'll be able to work on the hand stitching there if there's any downtime!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 PM

I recently started doing Eng pp and I love it. If you go to Paperpieces.com, you will find that they have alot of shapes besides hexagons and free idea papers to go with. You might get inspired!!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM

My current hand-piecing is cathedral windows. Next on my list - Joseph's coat.