Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you use this fabric? >

Would you use this fabric?

Would you use this fabric?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Default Would you use this fabric?

I bought a lovely piece of crimson solid fabric to use as the constant in piecing Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Crazy quilt pattern. It would go in all the centers of the blocks and piecing in the borders of the quilt. So I threw it in the washing machine by itself with two Carbona color catchers. Wow! When the wash was through, the color catchers were a deep magenta! That really scared me, so I decided to wash it again and used 2 more new color catchers, the result was still a deep pink. By now, I am in the "experimental mode" and really am thinking this 2-yd. piece is going to be trashed, so I tossed it back in the washer with 2 new color catchers and I threw in a small white towel. Amazingly enough, the towel itself came out white, but the color catchers this time were a light pink. What would you do? This will be my first paper piecing project and if I succeed, ha ha, I don't want it ruined by a piece of questionable fabric. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 05:48 PM

I would use Retayne on it if you really like the fabric. After Retayning it, then test. If it is still bleeding, a second Retayne treatment might work, but that would be the limit for me if this was my fabric.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

I think I would cut a couple of strips of the red and put some of the other fabrics you plan to use with it on top of the red (or under it - just so they are touching!)

I would dampen the whole works and let it set for a few hours and see what happens. If the other colors do not pick up any red, you are good to go.

However - if they do pick up some of the red dye - some people would treat the red with Retayne - I would toss it - or ONLY use it for something that would not matter if red dye spilled on it.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Retayne has never failed me but read and follow the directions.
peace
Old 11-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

​It would depend on what other fabric colours I planned to use with it. If light colours, I wouldn't chance it. If all dark colours, it probably would be fine.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I don't think the decision just depends on the other fabrics in the quilt. If a fabric is going to shed its color, it will do it on everything it touches. That includes sheets, hands, pajamas, etc. I agree with trying Retayne, and if that doesn't work I would not use the fabric in a quilt.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 AM

Sounds like you have washed away most of the dye if the towel came out clean. I would probably use it if the red is still red. Sometimes it's just excess dye. But if it has faded, toss it.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

i had some pink that rubbed off on my white sewing machine. grrrrr
Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
i had some pink that rubbed off on my white sewing machine. grrrrr
Oh, Wow, I would have been so upset!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Sounds like you have washed away most of the dye if the towel came out clean. I would probably use it if the red is still red. Sometimes it's just excess dye. But if it has faded, toss it.
Luckily the fabric is still a lovely crimson. so maybe it is excess dye, toverly, as you suggest. I have ordered some Retayne from JoAnn fabrics on-line; they don't stock it in the store, so my plan is now to treat it with Retayne, then wash it again with color catchers to see what happens. Since the Pineapple Crazy pattern uses a neutral background, it's important to be sure this fabric doesn't bleed, but is such a pretty red that I really want to use it if at all possible.