Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What time do you like to quilt? >

What time do you like to quilt?

What time do you like to quilt?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 PM

Default What time do you like to quilt?

Now that I'm working again, I find myself feeling too tired in the evening to sew.

We're off tomorrow for Election Day (yay!) .... thinking I'll get up @ my normal working-wake-up time & I'll sew!

All of my kids are now voting age (one left @ home). We're going out to eat for breakfast, and then will go and vote.

Do you have a time that you enjoy sewing the most? Or just whenever?
How many hours a day or week do you typically sew?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Banned

I'm retired and live alone, so its pretty much any time I want to. I seem to enjoy piecing and cutting early on the day, and settle in for some hand quilting in the evenings.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:19 PM

I, too, like to do my piecing throughout the day. In the evenings I'll do some hand sewing (bindings and such).
Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I go to my sewing room anytime I feel like it. Some days it's early and some days it's late evening. I don't have a certain time.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM

4:30 am for an hour since I work full time. Quiet time and DH and the 2 dogs are all asleep. I am too tired to do any quilting at night. Lol
Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM

I am a seamstress for a bridal shop so I sew at work all day. I like to hand quilt in the evenings if I am not too tired. I sew on weekends the things that I want to sew for me. Guess you could say I am always sewing something.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jackiequilts4fun View Post
Now that I'm working again, I find myself feeling too tired in the evening to sew.... Do you have a time that you enjoy sewing the most? Or just whenever?
How many hours a day or week do you typically sew?
Like you, I work "outside the home". (And please, nobody think I'm slamming stay-at-home-moms or retirees or whoever, as that is by NO means my intent!!!). And my sewing time is... whenever I feel like it!!

Lately, I've been working on my challenge piece for our longarm group... that I need to have mostly finished by November 18th... so, once I get home (1 hour or more commute), have dinner with hubby, and feed the animals (horses, chickens, dogs), I have been quilting a little bit each evening. Some nights, I finish a whole block, some nights it's just a couple of squares within a block. And I find that it does relax me from my crazy drive home.

Weekends, if we're not visiting the grandbabies, or doing community outreach with our church, I sometimes get to spend the better part of Saturdays quilting... could be piecing, could be quilting on the LA, could be putting the binding on, but most weekends I do manage a good chunk of time in the sewing room.

It is amazing how a little bit here and there adds up so quickly. And for my challenge quilt, I think the quality of my work is improved by NOT staying constantly at the longarm.

And your question of "how many hours?" Weekdays, I'm managing to do maybe one hour in the evening. Weekends, it might only be 3-4 hours, or it might be 8-10 hours both Saturday and Sunday - it just depends on what else is going on.
But at a minimum, I spend 4 hours a week in my sewing room, even when we have a lot going on. It's what keeps me sane.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:52 PM

I like to sew in the late morning/early afternoon. In the evenings while the TV is I'll work on hand sewing bindings or some applique.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:12 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I tend to sew in the afternoons when the sun isn't directly shining in the studio windows so I can open the blinds and see outside.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 PM

I like to make a start first thing after breakfast on the days that I can get to sew. If I go out I find that it is too hard to come home and settle into something that takes time.