Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hanging doll/miniature quilts advice >

hanging doll/miniature quilts advice

hanging doll/miniature quilts advice

Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Default hanging doll/miniature quilts advice

Help! I would like to hang my collection of doll/miniature quilts. My circa 1923 plaster walls spall and crack when driving small brads so I need to devise some sort of clever arrangement for hanging the 23 little guys. Any ideas? I did search for hanging ideas on the board but was unsuccessfull. Tia -
Old 11-26-2016, 02:12 PM

Maybe hang a string between command hooks. You can find small clothes pins to hang them. You won't do any damage with the command strips
Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM

My first thought was also a clotheslines with small pins
Old 11-26-2016, 06:13 PM

someone posted a tute on this Board for using a quilt panel in a different way--I thought of this immediately when I saw your post--it allowed you to put together several small quilts in a really neat way and then you could use your Command hook.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM

If you want to put holes for nails in your walls you will need a drill. Drill at a slant. If they are textured walls (lathe and plaster), command hooks might not work. Funny story: My first house was built in 1917. The bedroom wall was wallpapered by the previous owner. After you took a shower, the paper would make sounds as it was on an uneven surface. It was really creepy the first few nights, until I got used to it.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon2009 View Post
Help! I would like to hang my collection of doll/miniature quilts. My circa 1923 plaster walls spall and crack when driving small brads so I need to devise some sort of clever arrangement for hanging the 23 little guys. Any ideas? I did search for hanging ideas on the board but was unsuccessfull. Tia -
My house was built in 1914. You can NOT hammer a nail in a lath & plaster (often horse hair plaster) wall. The wall will crumble. You must use a drill & screws. Drill on a slight downward angle.

Command hooks won't work either, as they may pull off the plaster skim coat. If the plaster wall was papered & then was painted over it will pull off when you remove the command hook, often taking the skim coat with it. Ask me how I know! Some of these old houses have been papered many times layer after layer on top of each other & then painted over many times too. UGHH!

I would suggest drilling the holes & then use "eye screws". IF the plaster broke a way a little use a washer to cover the area. You can paint the washer. You could use picture frame wire & little clothespins to hang your tiny quilts.

Another option would be to hang small mini wood shelves & attach an eye screw to the underside of each one, then run your wire between them to hang your quilts.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

no crown molding next to ceiling i suppose? hmm. perhaps you could display them on some sort of quilt ladder but smaller version. towel rack, clothes drying rack, etc. good luck!!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:47 PM

You might try straight pins tapped in at an angle. Sometimes these are thin enough to do the trick.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 AM

One of my first apartments had walls like that, being young, I hung framed posters with command hooks. In the middle of the night it was crash bang and shattering glass. Yikes, the nightmare. Anyway, I suggest the clothesline look also.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:03 PM

This site has some ways of displaying textile art. Not all my taste, but if you go part way down the page, one has them strung together hanging from either the ceiling or a door frame. That looked quite neat.
http://www.textileartist.org/display...g-textile-art/