Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How difficult is making a bargello? >

How difficult is making a bargello?

How difficult is making a bargello?

Old 11-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Default How difficult is making a bargello?

Should I take a class to learn how to make a bargello or can I just follow the directions easily enough?

Generally, how long does it take to make one...say a twin size with some nice flowing design?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Difficulty begins with the pattern chosen. Sine waves and starbursts are very simple, just a repeating color pattern with varying widths. Magazines such as McCall's and BH&G's Quilting give examples and directions. Expert examples include those in Joen Wolfrom's "Visual Coloring".

I learned to sew long strips into tubes, then cut the tube into widths, unstitch a square at the proper color point, and sew the resultant colored strips together. This quick piecing method allows me to do a simple pattern quite quickly.

This is a fun technique to play with. Good luck with your projects.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Is there a tutorial for this method? Sounds like something I could do. lol

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Difficulty begins with the pattern chosen. Sine waves and starbursts are very simple, just a repeating color pattern with varying widths. Magazines such as McCall's and BH&G's Quilting give examples and directions. Expert examples include those in Joen Wolfrom's "Visual Coloring".

I learned to sew long strips into tubes, then cut the tube into widths, unstitch a square at the proper color point, and sew the resultant colored strips together. This quick piecing method allows me to do a simple pattern quite quickly.

This is a fun technique to play with. Good luck with your projects.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I would start with a simple pattern. Like this one from Bonnie Hunter.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...-bargello.html
Old 11-27-2016, 03:02 PM

This was my first Bargello. I didn't find it difficult but you do need to be organized. I've also made Eleanor Burns' Quick Quarter quilts. It's an easy Bargello pattern with a technique that doesn't require matching seams. It might be an easy start for you. I think you can find a tutorial on her website. It might be listed under Quick Trip quilts.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-27-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:37 PM

I took an online class to learn Bargello technique because I was a beginning quilter. I was actually surprised by how easy the technique is (as long as you've done enough quilting to understand what various terms mean). My best bit of advice: with a safety pin and a scrap of paper, number each column. A design board of some sort is really helpful, too.

Enjoy!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 PM

There are many tutorials for bargellos and they are not difficult. As others have said - start with a simple one until you "get" the idea. Its actually not difficult - just need to pay attention. EnjoY!

Here is one with a good explanation:
http://quiltsbyjen.ca/how-to-make-a-...ric-strip-run/

Last edited by Kitsie; 11-27-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:14 PM

It's easy as long as you keep strip sets organized
Old 11-27-2016, 06:39 PM

one of the easiest, hard-looking quilts! Most patterns will have a grid sheet that shows the color # and order. I used strip sets--getting organized really helps--I had my secondary cuts of the strip sets (i.e. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4,1, 11/4", etc) strips in labeled bags. As I "unsewed" different parts of these strips to get the design, I put the extras back into the bag. Also a friend said to get a piece of paper and glue each of your fabrics onto it with the # assigned and keep that posted where you sew so you keep straight on your pattern. I was also told to somehow mark each line of strips as I finished it, on the pattern grid---I just used a larger post-it and moved it over each grid as I went--worked great and I wasn't loosing track of where I was. Go for it! here's a pic of mine[ATTACH=CONFIG]562867[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails blueyellowbargello.jpg  

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 11-27-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM

I made my first Bargello three years ago and have made 13 since then. Once you figure the technique out, it is much easier than it looks. I started by buying a book by Eileen Wright called Twist and Turn Bargello quilts. It is wonderful.

She has about 12 patterns in the book, and towards the back is a pattern for a place mat. This pattern is to teach the technique. Once I had done one of those, I was able to understand what needed to be done, and I have been hooked ever since. (I would not buy the Kindle edition....as I want to be able to write on my patterns, but this site offers both a Kindle edition and the book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GU0OFXW...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Let me see if I can find a picture of the place mat I made, then the second Bargello I made ( from the book Surf Song), and then a twin sized one I made based on a free pattern online...Serenity by Northcott (thought I made mine considerably larger).

But, honestly, I would get the book and study the instructions for the place mat. I taught myself with the book. It is hard to say how long one takes. I just finished one in about 3 weeks, but it can take a lot longer, depending, of course, on what pattern you use.

Okay....pictures will follow. (See if any of this helps you....)

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001584.jpg   s8001646.jpg   s8001808.jpg