Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How a Brother PQ-1500 practically fell into my lap >

How a Brother PQ-1500 practically fell into my lap

How a Brother PQ-1500 practically fell into my lap

Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Default How a Brother PQ-1500 practically fell into my lap

I've been trying to get a machine with a bigger space to do FMQ. I have several vintage machines and had the best luck on the 301 but for the skipped stitches. I tried every hint and combination of thread, needles, clean machine, vintage FMQ foot, new FMQ foot, etc. Had it serviced and timing set precisely. I guess some of them just don't cooperate. (I know I can manage a basic meander because I do it all the time on my Dinky mechanical Brother of the Costco variety, but the throat is too small). I tried a 201, had it serviced, timing set, etc. I didn't like the feel of that. Haven't come across a good 15. So was thinking a Juki or a Brother. I was about to make plans to go test drive both of them but we had a weekend trip back to where we used to live and wanted to wait til after that. A day or two before we left, I got an email from the guild I used to belong to that one of the members was selling her Brother 1500. I called her and she said she is going into photography and is selling three machines, two Pfaffs and the Brother. I told her we were coming to town the next weekend and of course if she had a buyer to sell it but that I was interested. My best friend said she would go pick it up but I felt like I should at least eyeball it and test drive it. I tried not to think about it knowing I could always come back and go with original plan. So, we were driving into town that thursday and the lady called me to ask if I was still interested and I said yes. Turns out they live right off the Interstate close to our destination and we had plenty of time so we stopped there first. I got to play with the machine and asked her a lot of questions. She had it serviced at the OSMG I used to use. She had all the feet it came with, plus a bunch more. And an extra pin and gizmo to install, all brand new. Many bobbins, Organ needles of the HL X 5 variety in a bunch of sizes, an extra large extension table, clear, with the Brother name on it, cover, manual, etc. I really liked the way it felt to me. I would probably have been happy with the Juki too, maybe more so, but it didn't magically appear! And for all of this she wanted the whopping price of $350. I was thrilled.

Got the machine home and it stitches great. I was a little annoyed that the FMQ was breaking thread, but, I put the feed dogs up to the lowest level and that seems to have completely solved the problem. I tried many different needle/thread combinations before, writing it all down, thread in different directions through one, two, or three of the little holes, troubleshooting, etc. I don't know if it is a flaw in the machine, but, it is easily solved, so far.

I didn't think I would care about the thread cutter, but, I like it! It cuts the thread just long enough. I can use the needle threader. I can put in a bobbin. As of today I am very happy! If anything changes, I will be asking for help!!!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I have this machine. I love it.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Lucky you!!! $350 is a great price! I have 7 machines including the 1500, and it's my favorite of them all. Told my husband if it ever dies, I'm getting another one. But it's built so well I'll probably go before it does.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Mine is years old. I heard a loud pop and the needle was stuck. I had to take all the bobbin assembly out to free the needle and it worked fine. I couldn't figure out where the pop sound came from. I took the top off the machine and found a spring. Hmmmm wonder where that came from. The machine is sewing fine. It was the spring from the reverse lever. It had popped off and flew all the way to the top. The reverse lever still worked, I had to manually raise it back up when I pressed it down. This machine is so easy to keep clean. The housing comes off easy and goes back on easy. No special tools needed.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Congratulations what a wonderful find. We are looking forward to pictures of your projects.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Sooo happy for you!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:20 AM

Love to hear a story like yours. Happy sewing ahead.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:03 AM

Lucky for you! I am glad it worked out so well!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:52 AM

What a good story, and with a happy ending!

Enjoy!!
Dina
Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Glad to hear you got it. I got mine used not quite a year ago and it has become my main quilter and piecing machine. Great machine---

Rob