Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide >

Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide

Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide

Old 12-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Question Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide

I've decided to take the plunge and get a longarm. I've been researching all the brands and have decided to stick with either APQS (Lucey) or HQ (Fusion) because I have shops close by so I can get support. Unfortunately, I like both machines and they are pretty close in price. I've been renting an APQS Millie for approx. the last 6 months so I have experience with the brand but not Lucey specifically and I went and test drove the Fusion. The HQ comes with a 26" throat and 2400 spm and more bells and whistles (ie bobbin thread indicator, dimmable lights, etc) but the Lucey has a 26" throat and 3500 spm. I'm not sure if I should go the HQ because it has more convenience items or the Lucey because it's bigger and faster. I'm also nervous because the HQ has touchpads to control everything and it seems to me that computers are the first thing to cause problems in most of the products I own. There is a 5 year warranty on electronics but I plan on keeping this a lot longer than that so I'm trying to avoid future problems. Sorry for the lengthy post but I would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:48 PM

I have a Statler and the closest dealer to me is 5+ hours away. but saying that it was just retro fitted to the statler this summer so before that I had no bells and whistles, I didn't really need them. I say go with what you are comfortable with. Are you really going to use the bells and whistles? Or do you what the bigger one? As long as you have a stitch regulator the rest is all gravy.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 PM

I've just enjoyed my first month with an HQ Fusion and we are having a lot of fun with it! I made dh go to the prostitcher class with me and he's rocking at it. I enjoyed both days of classes with mine and love having the shop nearby if I need help.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 PM

My Babylock was made by HQ and I love it. I don't have the skill to max out either a 2600 or a 3500 spm machine, so the speed would not be a factor for me. i would probably go for the bells and whistles.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 AM

I really don't know of anyone that would use their long arm at that speed not even someone that uses some type of computer controlled quilting. But I like the HQ better that's just my opinion ultimately the decision is yours to make. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:08 AM

do you notice your speed when your quilting? I don't understand the need for such high spm, I'm usually somewhere between 700-900, I can't imagine getting close to the numbers you mentioned.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 AM

I had the HQ 16 and upgraded to the Avante and love it. I use the regulator and the prostitcher. Would have loved the Fusion but it was a little too $$. I have gone to their classes and called them many times and they have always been able to get me out of trouble and I learned from that. Both are good machines but I will stick with my HQ
Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 AM

Not familiar with hq..have an apqs longarm.....can you work from both sides? Table and front? Oops, I forgot now designs are computerized so no need for paper pantos...back to my cave.....I like what I have, customer service has been great...granted 7 hr drive to take head in for spa day....but that's only once every 3/4 yrs...and I've had this machine since before computerized...its hand guided...all maintenance has been owner done....not one complaint!
Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM

That's a tough call... they're both great machines. I rent time on a Lucey, so I'm initially biased towards it, but that's not a good basis for a recommendation! Here are some other things I would consider if I was making this choice:

The maximum stitch speeds probably don't matter, as others have said. The difference between the 24" throat on the Fusion and 26" on Lucey might make a difference, but might not... how tall are you? How long is your reach? The extra space might be wasted on you, if you can't comfortably reach that far. I'm 5'7", and can use the whole 26", but I'm not sure that small difference would be a deciding factor for me.

The Lucey uses physical switches on the handles for "go" and "needle up/down", whereas the Fusion has buttons. Do you have a preference? The Fusion also has different functions on the left and right handles, so there are 4 things to think about your thumbs doing instead of just two. I'm pretty good with controller systems, but I would find that confusing if I didn't use it every day.

The handles are also in different orientations - horizontal on the Lucey (like handlebars on a bike), and vertical on the Fusion (like holding the steering wheel of a car). If you have wrist/arm problems, think about if one of those positions will be more comfortable for you.

On the Fusion, the presser foot bar is to the left of the needle, whereas on the Lucey it's behind. I think I would prefer the Lucey's arrangement - I don't want the presser foot bar blocking my view when doing FMQ work. I haven't used one, though, so that might not be a problem.

I hope this gives you a few more things to think about. Let us know what you choose!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:54 AM

I have used both HQ and APQS - I owned an HQ Avante, it is a terrific machine and their customer service is wonderful. I test drove a APQS Lenni at a show and I fell in love, I then attended an APQS road show and decided that I needed a Lenni in my life. I sold my Avante and purchased Lenni!

I will say if you go with APQS definitely get the Bliss table it is incredible!

I will also tell you APQS's customer service is top notch as well!

That's just my 2 cents!