Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Continuing problems with 1st attempt at machine quilting. >

Continuing problems with 1st attempt at machine quilting.

Continuing problems with 1st attempt at machine quilting.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 AM

Like some one said before use a Topstitch or quilting needle size 14 or16 I also use basting spray and iron quilt to batting so nothing moves. Hang in their!!!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 AM

I have a 6600. the machine won't sew with the presser foot up so that isn't the problem. Usually when I get nests in the machine I've found what Paper princess & Watson suggests is the problem: ' Sometimes my thread jumps out of the arm that goes up and down and then I get a mess, so check that your machine is threaded correctly." I've found this happens more on the 6600 than my other machines. From Watson '' Also, at one point, when I first got mine, , I was putting the thread where it is supposed to go when I fill a bobbin, instead of where it is supposed to go when I sew.' So try that too.

I find the 6600 not very fussy about which threads (and size needles) you use. I always use a topstitch needle. 80, 90, very rarely 100 to FMQ on this machine.

Is your sample the same fabrics and batting your quilt is? If it isn't, you should consider making up a (not tiny) sample with fabric the same or as similar to your fabric as possible. If its working on the sample and not on your quilt the problem is probably drag on the quilt.

This has been by far the easiest machine I own as far as tension goes. When I find a problem it has always been operator (me) error.

When I have tension problems I:
1. Rethread the machine (nests on back are fixed by this usually) I do this every time and it fixes 90% of the problems.
2. Rethread the bobbin
3. Change the upper tension
I have two bobbin casess, second one for FMQ I don't think I needed to buy that second one. Adjusting the upper tension always seems to be sufficient.
4. Take off the plate and clean out the bobbin area with a pipe cleaner and oil machine.
5. Change the needle on the machine to a new one if thread is breaking.

Here is a great handout from Cindy Needham/ Superior Threads about adjusting the tension setting. However this assumes that your machine and bobbin are threaded correctly.
https://vw-superiorthreads.storage.g...NSION-2012.pdf

Superior Threads has a big education page http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

Here are more hints from Cindy Needham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tsUgjsFpTo

If you were close by, I'd have you come over and we could sew together. If all else fails bring the machine in to a sewing machine repair place and have them help you. Good luck
Old 12-18-2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I have a 6600. the machine won't sew with the presser foot up so that isn't the problem.
I don't have a 6600--just an 8900...and interestingly enough, mine will actually sew with the quilt pushing up on the lever, which it is in a down position, just enough to mess up the tension. It is one thing that is quite frustrating to me, actually. I was hoping that her problem is just that simple.

Last edited by justflyingin; 12-18-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:01 AM

If you are having problems supporting the quilt go to Jennoop,com and check out her quilt support system.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 AM

I feel for you, it's so discouraging when your machine won't cooperate. I had quite a similar problem with my Bernina 440 a short time ago. I took it to the dealer twice. For some reason it would not maintain the tension and I like you had entire lines of stitches that would out with a little pull. I knew it was the tension, but could not fix it myself. Iv'e have it back now since November and it seems to be working fine. I do find that spray basting causes some issues for me, but I still use it, cause I'm a lousy pinner! Do try a larger needle, and try the same weight thread in top and bobbin.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:21 PM

I am probably still classified as a beginning quilter (quilting one year to date). I started out with rag quilts (wise decision) and am now doing what I call "regular" quilting. Having said this, please feel free to ignore my advice! I actually ran into the same problems you are having. In regards to pleats and tucks, it sounds like the quilt isn't being fed evenly --being pulled down by its weight. I would suggest you slow the machine speed down some and keep things as straight as possible. Most important: USE A WALKING FOOT! If you don't have one, buy one a.s.a.p. It will make an important difference. Now, I also had the exact same problems you are having with the threading gathering in the back, etc. I adjusted tension, etc., and the problem persisted. I finally took my machine to a repair person for a quick evaluation; fortunately, the shop owner didn't charge me. He saw the problem immediately. My problem? A BENT NEEDLE!!! So, that could be your problem. I also had the tension set too high; I set the tension back around 4. I still had a few problems, and I finally purchased good quality thread. I've been using Arifil (yes, it is costly) thread and have had not one problem since then. I hope these suggestions help. Best of luck to you, and don't give up!
A day patched with quilting seldom unravels.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 AM

Lorli,
When I'm doing straight line quilting and having problems with tension, it usually means that I'm trying to sew too fast or the needle isn't the right type for what I'm sewing. Always be sure that the bobbin is wound evenly, placed in the machine correctly and that everything is threaded right. Your quilt sandwich has to be supported all around so its not falling off the table.
I prefer Superior top stitch needles in sizes 90/14 or 100/16. I've been machine quilting for 25 years and learned so much. I use the "Machingers" gloves, it helps me have more control over the quilt sandwich.
When you're having problems with puckers,tucks and such; feed the quilt toward the presser foot to help ease in the poofy areas. If you're using a poly batting it has to be very well basted(2-3"apart) or it'll slip and slide everywhere. I like an 80/20 or 100% cotton batting as it will stick to your cotton fabrics and reduce puckers.
Machine quilting requires much practice, so be patient with yourself. Relax your shoulders, take frequent breaks. I quilt for about a 1/2 hour at a time and then go do something else and then come back to it.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-19-2016, 10:00 AM

I've had the same problem with a Janome 6500. I put my tension on 5, use a darning foot, and take my time. It works great. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Lorli......I, too, have the 6600 Janome and occasionally have the same problems you are having and it is usually the threading. I stop, have to rethread and then wonder why I didn't do it sooner. I am also going to suggest that you have your machine serviced and maybe get some instructions on how to quilt with it? You must be a patient person because I would be tearing my hair by now......Good luck to you SOON........Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 PM

One of my friends was making a lot of flannel quilts. Her machine started making a bad, loud noise. It turned out, it was full of lint in the bobbin area.