Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt >

Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt

Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt

Old 12-18-2016, 05:38 AM

Default Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt

Hello! I made this quilt for my mother out of old fabric hanging calendars that were saved by her mother (my BaBa!).

I am getting ready to sandwich the quilt, but am having a hard time deciding on the best quilting design to use, particularly in the calendars. The calendar fabrics tend to be a little looser woven, so I want to quilt it densely enough to prevent them from shifting. However, this is intended to be used while watching TV, so I would still like it to be snuggly. I am able to do free-motion quilting.... i'm not an expert, but I have been able to achieve a decent quality.

I am also looking for advice on the color of thread to be used, both in the cream-colored calendar area as well as the sashing/border. The colors in the picture of the whole quilt are fairly washed out, the second picture's colors are more accurate. If it affects your suggestions...... the backing will be mostly composed of the blue fabric bordering each of the calendars.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails img_0116.jpg   img_0117.jpg  
Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I would not quilt the calendars densely if I were to do this. Even though the weave is looser then you are used to the fabric is still strong. ( linen)
I would stitch a grid on the calendar sections, squares around the months and do some free motion, detail quilting to highlight the photos, using a cream/ neutral thread.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 AM

i won't make a suggestion....but i love the quilt!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:25 AM

Just wanted to say what an incredibly beautiful quilt this is going to be.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

How nice this has turned out!!!
And yes, I am taking a trip down memory lane and saying ... hey, I remember those!

For the border/sashing areas, I would look for a variegated thread that blends well with your assortment of fabrics. Or perhaps a deep red solid could look quite nice on the front as well as create some interest against your back blue fabric (which I really like!). Audition and few, until you find what you like.

I agree with CKCowl, to keep with a cream/neutral thread for quilting on the calendars. Just try different creams, beiges, taupes, etc. until you find one that blends the best with all. If you feel up to it, I would go with the same thread on the bobbin as used with the borders/sashing thread, and the cream on top.

Agree too, quilt the grids for the calendars and then FMQ/outline some of the key features of each calendar.

The density of the quilting to me is a toss up, somewhat answered by this question ... Have the calendars been pre-shrunk? With them being linen, I know there could be a huge shrink potential. So, if not shrunk denser quilting will help to keep things more stable. Otherwise, you may be disappointed once the quilt is laundered. I am not meaning that you need to micro-stipple, just that you may want to have the rest of the calendar quilted at about the same density as the calendars will become. This will still give you great snuggability .... and remember, some of that comes from what batting you choose.

Great project! and I am sure your Mom will enjoy the memories it brings back.

Hope that you are finishing this up for your Mom's Christmas gift!!
Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

No advice but had to say i love the quilt idea. You did great job !
Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 AM

Don't have a clue as to how to quilt your quilt but I just wanted to tell you what a nice and treasured quilt this will be. How wonderful and I bet it will be loved forever.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. They are very helpful!

To answer a few questions....

Yes, the calendars are pre-shrunk, so hopefully shrinkage isn't much of an issue.

I like the ideas re: how to quilt on the calendars. I think it could end up looking nice.

I have never used a different colored thread in the bobbin than in the top thread.... but, I think I'll give that a try on a practice quilt sandwich and see how it looks.

Lastly...... I ' gave' the quilt to my mom for Mother's Day earlier this year, but the quilt top wasn't done at that time. I am hoping to have the quilting done so she can unwrap it on Christmas Day. She would be so surprised!
Old 12-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

So glad that you have the calendars pre-shrunk .... I was thinking in that regard, as Mom never washed her calendar tea towels. They were just for "show" . Plus because I have some never used hand-embroidered linen tea towels that I keep thinking about turning into a quilt. Someday, when I find just the right pattern and fabrics to do it.

Great that you plan to have it done for Christmas .... you can tell your Mom you did it on the installment plan!

Good plan to do a practice sandwich. You may find you need to adjust your tension a bit, to avoid "pokies" so that the two different thread colours meet nicely in the midst of the sandwich. To me, a one thread colour back makes for a much showier quilt.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it as a finished quilt.
Good Luck ... you have a lot of work ahead of you to get it done on time!

.........Now quit hanging out on the internet and get quilting!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-18-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:06 PM

CKCowl's ideas are excellent and what I would do. Very creative idea, sure's she's going to love it.