Serger

Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Serger

I'm thinking of buying a Serger but don"t have any idea what to look for or best brand. Any advice anyone?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 AM

I've had a Juki MO654DE for a decade now and I LOVE it. I've put it thru it's paces with garment sewing, serger quilts ,it's a great machine. The original blade is still sharp, I replace the needles with Schmetz denim ones when they need replacing. Very affordable, easy to to thread, highly recommend
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B...s=juki+mo654de
Old 01-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I have a brother 1034D. I am pleased with it. There are several you tube videos to help with threading. It isn't all that hard.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Sergers like embroidery and sewing machines all have different features to consider. Some do more than others, some are easier to thread, some have knee lifts, and some have built in tension. When I bought my Viking what I loved was the built in tension control. I have Viking machines and love the fact that I've never had to mess with the tension, its truly automatic. I got a great deal on one and bought it. A month later I went to a Brother event mainly to get more education on using a serger and fell in love the Ovation. To say the least know that I'll eventually be able to sell my Viking for what I bought it for I got the Ovation. I take classes even here a year later and love my machine. You really need to check out what all options are available, decide on a price point you are willing to spend and then test drive them. Make sure you know what to expect from the dealer, classes, customer support, where to take it if you have any issues, etc. Sergers are great and you can do many things on them. Including quilting. Check out Nancy Zieman's book on quilting with sergers. I love mine. If I had the space I'd keep the Viking and the Ovation just to have them both threaded and ready to use at the same time. Make sure you know what needles you'll need, some are very specific to what ones you use. Have fun
Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 PM

I started many years ago with an inexpensive Juki. It was difficult to thread (right order important) but it worked well. Then I got a very expensive Viking and it works very well, but still difficult to thread. A few years ago I went to a trade show and saw the Babylock air threader and bought it on the spot! I set the Viking to cover stitch (both the BL and VIking do that, but it is a pain to switch them over all the time) and haven't looked back! You can thread in any order, doesn't matter if a thread breaks, just re thread!!! Push a button to thread the loopers, air driven. About $2000-2500 depending on the model, but well worth it.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have a brother 1034D. I am pleased with it. There are several you tube videos to help with threading. It isn't all that hard.
I have this one as well that I purchased used several years ago. Very nice machine. I would recommend 4 thread and differential feed as must haves. Not sure if those are given with new machines in today's world. I'm sure air threading is nice.

I took a class after purchasing and the most valuable piece of advice given (at least to me) was to keep a notebook handy and write down your tension settings before; during and after EVERY project! This way you know where you should start (normal tension) and what changes need to be made for rolled hems; etc. without having to go through trial and error or guessing with each project.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have this one also. I found it very easy to thread and operate. The instruction manual as well as the DVD are really easy to follow.

Do you have a price range in mind? I paid less than $200.00 for mine off of Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 AM

I love my Babylock Imagine. It is self-threading which is a big plus factor
Old 01-03-2017, 06:43 AM

Another vote for the Brother 1034D. I have owned several sergers, and this is by far the easiest I've ever had as far as threading and adjustments.

Keep in mind that all of my sergers have been budget models. I've never had the money to invest in one of those high-end sergers with all the bells and whistles and air threading and all that stuff!