Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with first quilt >

Help with first quilt

Help with first quilt

Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 AM

Default Help with first quilt

Hello all, I'm sewing my first quilt following a printed pattern. I have sewn all of my blocks and I'm to the point where I am to cut my borders. I've searched here and found some great information regarding borders and how to measure for them. The pattern is telling me what size to cut my borders. Everything I have read says to measure your quilt in 3 places and take an average and begin pinning in the middle and the ends and ease in between. The quilt top has borders all the way around and once that is done then you can quilt it in any way you wish. My question is, do I need to square my quilt top that is completed so far, before I add these borders? Or do I only square up after the quilt top has been quilted? There is so much to learn about quilting! This first quilt has sashing in between the blocks and in between the rows. I began sewing them together and didn't realize that I needed to make sure that my sashing in between my blocks and every other row needed to be lined up. I only had to redo a seam once or twice. All in all, I'm pleased with the way it looks. Once I'm done, I'll be sure to post a picture. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I like to square up at each stage. I think it makes each of the next steps easier. I square up my blocks and check for size so the sashing and/or joining goes smoothly. I square up my top so the borders go on easily, then square up after quilting. Often you really don't need to cut much off, if anything, just check for square. Sometimes the quilting will pull the quilt a bit so I like to cut my borders slightly (1/4" to 1/2") wider than the finished size so I have a bit to cut off.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Is your top flat when you lay it out on the floor? Measure all your sides and see if the top and bottom are the same and the right and left sides match their measurement. If everything looks good, then you can proceed. Only square your top if it won't cut off any of the corners from the blocks edges.

There is lots of advice on how to measure and put on borders. Smooth the top out but don't stretch it. I measure my sides and if they are within a 1/4 inch, I put a chalk mark on the border fabric piece at the measurement from the shorter side. I then add 1/2 inch to the border piece and cut 2 strips. I mark the other border piece at the same length and pin the border to the top making sure the top edge ends at the chalk mark. I ease in any fullness by putting the top on the bottom by the feed dogs. This usually results in my hitting both chalk marks and I cut off the extra fabric and do the top and bottom borders the same way.
The reason you want to get a consistent border is too much border fabric will cause wavy borders. Is it the end of the world if you get wavy borders? No, just try to do better the next time.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Thank you for your reply PaperPrincess. Since this is my first quilt, I didn't realize that I should have squared up my blocks before sewing on the sashing. I wondered why when I cut the sashing strips to the correct size, why some of them ended up about 1" too long. Maybe it was stretching as those were cut on the crossgrain and pieced together. Something I don't enjoy doing. I can never get my strips look perfect all the time. That is a good idea about cutting your borders slightly wider. Do you do that to make sure that once it's square that your borders will be the same size?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Hi Tartan, I haven't measured my quilt top that is completed so far. But I will measure and see. Thank you for your help!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I add a slight amount to the width of the border because when you quilt it can draw the fabric up a bit. Sometimes (at least with my quilting) the draw up is uneven, so having a small amount to work with after quilting makes the job a bit easier.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Ok that makes sense. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I add a slight amount to the width of the border because when you quilt it can draw the fabric up a bit. Sometimes (at least with my quilting) the draw up is uneven, so having a small amount to work with after quilting makes the job a bit easier.
I will have to try this on my next quilt...I have had this experience once or twice, especially when FMQ on my DSM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I add an extra 1/4" to the width of the final border. As others said the quilting can distort the edges and this gives me a little wiggle room for squaring.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 AM

sewannie, all measurements in a printed pattern are using THEIR seam allowances etc. We all do not sew the perfect seam allowance and that can add up from the block at each step all the way out to the borders. When doing a printed pattern use the measurements as a 'guide' because you must use your measurements to have it work properly.
Can not wait to see your photo of your quilt.