Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique... >

Applique...

Applique...

Old 01-29-2017, 04:17 PM

Default Applique...

I am working on a BOM called Portage Lake by Minick and Simpson. There are three large applique blocks with lots of leaves and flowers. I am pretty good at applique in general and have usually worked on"normal sized" blocks but these are so large. The problem is the block template has no defined edge except the block must finish at 20"square. I suppose this is to allow for some variation... What I had to do to start was mark with a water soluble pen, the defined 20" square edge of the block. The background piece which shipped with the monthly fabric is larger than the allotted size not by much and as i work, it shrinks and I am very fearful it will not be the required size in the end. As it is, I have 3/8" or less seam allowance and I am about 2/3 done basting the shapes... have not even stitched them down yet. I am using the starch method of creating my shapes and glue basting the background. There are no puckers.
Normally when I applique the block background is at least a whole inch extra all around.

Anyone have thoughts on maintaining the size of the background?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567060[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]567061[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn0599.jpg   dscn0600.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I would reorient the applique, "squishing" it a little so you have extra bacground at the edges. There's nothing worse than having too little background for seams. I have an unfinished hand applique project with that exact problem. Believe me, it would be better to adjust the applique.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already resized some of the leaves along the edges and have brought them in a little tighter since I posted earlier... it will create more space but will not increase the size of the background which is the real problem... it is shrinking. I have enough fabric at the top and bottom of the block but that right side has less than 1/4" SA.

If I can not get this to work, I might have to start over with a new much larger piece of background before it's too late... But before I go to that extreme measure, I will at least baste all the parts and see how bad it is at that point, and then see if I can pry them off.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM

I was able to get it all to fit. I did resized many leaves and worked hard to draw it in. I have more margin so I can shift the border line a little. It gives me more allowance on the right side. lets hope I don't loose to much after its all stitched down.

I am going to piece a couple of other blocks before I begin to tackle this. So if anyone else has some thoughts... I still have one more applique block to go. If anything, I am buying some of the background fabric so I can cut a larger background for that next applique block when it ships. The lessons we learn... this certain has a steep learning curve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567078[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn0601.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Your project is gorgeous!!! Please post pics of your finished work.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The fabrics of this make it very crisp and attractive. But, you do need more background around the applique. Hope you are able to make to your satisfaction, it's lovely!
Old 01-30-2017, 12:26 AM
Gay

I'm wondering if you have stretched the stems when making the bias binding and ironing them to the background. Perhaps they have shrunk a little when they cool down, thus shrinking the fabric. Some sections you may be able to trim a little shorter if need be, and arranged to fit the area properly before glue basting.

It is going to be a beautiful quilt when done.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 AM

Your work is beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Since this is a BOM, I would notify the provider that the background fabric is skimpy and ask that it be cut larger. I haven't done a lot of applique, but I do cut my squares at least 1" larger all around, and especially on a large block like that. Your work is beautiful! If the provider doesn't provide bigger background pieces in the future, you might consider using your own background. You're doing too much work to have the pieces coming out too small.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM

Love your block. It's gorgeous. I'd call the company that send you the background and let them know they left you short enough to worry.