Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing question >

Paper piecing question

Paper piecing question

Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Paper piecing question

Have any of you ever used plain old copy paper for foundation paper piecing? I'm tempted to try it, but afraid I may be sorry.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Yes that is what I used and make your stitch smaller and crease the paper on the seam lines first and it was ok.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM

I have in a pinch - shorten your stitch to pierce the paper more like a tear off stub.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Tried it, hated it. Tried a bunch of different papers, finally found vellum, which works very well for me. It's easy to print on, I can see through it, and it tears away easily, especially if you iron it. Ironing seems to make it kind of brittle.

Having said that, I will also say that I no longer sew through the paper. I use the folding technique where you fold on the sewing line and stitch right next to it. Since the vellum is semi-opaque, I can see the line and exactly where I'm folding. I use a dab of glue stick to hold the paper to the fabric.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Tried it, hated it. Tried a bunch of different papers, finally found vellum, which works very well for me. It's easy to print on, I can see through it, and it tears away easily, especially if you iron it. Ironing seems to make it kind of brittle.

Having said that, I will also say that I no longer sew through the paper. I use the folding technique where you fold on the sewing line and stitch right next to it. Since the vellum is semi-opaque, I can see the line and exactly where I'm folding. I use a dab of glue stick to hold the paper to the fabric.
The fold technique works really well with freezer paper. Ironing it makes it stick to the fabric.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I use it all of the time. I receive a monthly notice on colored copy paper. I reuse the back of that and i find that easier to use/see with the fold back PP method that I prefer
Old 02-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

I use white dollar store tissue paper. No need to remove it, it completely dissolves when the quilt is washed.

Cari
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM

I use it all the time ... just do like everyone suggested and shorten you stitch length! And don't forget to "fix" your seam at the beginning and end LOL I forgot a couple of times ... pain in the butt when your stitches come out when you tear off the paper!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:20 AM
bj

That's all I ever use. Instead of folding on the stitch lines, I lightly score then with a the tip of my seam ripper using a ruler to keep my scoring straight. The paper pulls away very nicely.

Last edited by bj; 02-10-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 PM

I use it all the time as well. I do shorten the stitch length but don't both with scoring or folding or anything else. So far, no problems.