Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places? >

what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places?

what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Default what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places?

I have a goal of finishing up the quilting on tops that have been lingering at the flimsy stage. I want to try and bring at least one quilt a month for show and tell at guild. I am also going to be visiting with other quilters and thought I could bring along the hand sewing binding as my hand work project to their group meetings.

So, what do others use to keep the quilt in for transport? and while you are sitting in someone's home and want to sew binding? Some of the quilts I will be finishing are king size. I could put it in a trash bag but I am looking for suggestions.

thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 PM

I use a pillow case, that way if I pick up some dust or dirt I can just toss the pillow case in the washer. I think opening up two pillow cases and sewing them together would make plenty of room for a king sized quilt. I just realized a tote made from pillow ticking would be pretty cool!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM

I have several big bags. The Mondo bag works great.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

I use a small laundry basket.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 PM

Don't use a trash bag! Too easy for someone to think it is trash...and put it out on the curb!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I use those big shopping bags from Joanne's, I have a really nice big one from Marshals someone picked up for me that easily holds a king size along with my travel kit. I've also made myself a couple large bags with good handles . I put a pocket on the outside to hold my sewing kit, scissors, thread.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Sew yourself a cute, huge tote bag for this purpose!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I have a few small vintage suit cases that I use. I can store all my tools and quilt in it safely. I have never forgotten it because I would never just take the quilt without the case. NEVER USE A GARBAGE BAG!!!

peace
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM

I use a very large "tote" bag, it's on wheels, I got it at a yard sale for $1, and depending on the size of the quilt/s I can haul 4 "lap" quilts or 1 king size quilt, I have the needed supplies in the bag and it stays in the car, since I never know when I'm going to be called to work.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:22 PM

never use a garbage bag......many things have been trashed, why?, because they look like trash......