Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Different places you sew

Our house is old and doesn't have central air. It gets quite stuffy on hot and humid days. We're having a decent stream of hot weather near the 90's lately and I told my husband that I was going to sew on the front porch. He said I was crazy and that would look really "redneck"! (If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black!)

What different places have you sewn in? I've sat outside sewing in the dark when we went camping and used a battery operated lantern and the stars for light.

A front porch also, a car parking lot, dr's. & dentist's waiting rooms, a winery, motel rooms, anywhere I happen to have a few minutes. This is handquilting only, for now. I imagine when I start appliqueing, I may take that also.

We have a patio with an adjoining koi pond. This summer my sewing buddy is coming over and we're going to move it all out to the patio for the weekend. Maybe do some fabric inking out there too!

Hubby will be BBQ'ing for us....Can't wait! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

bj
    Now, I have a sewing room, which I feel blessed to have. Nothing fancy, but everything is in the same room and I don't have to pack everything up when company comes. In the past, I've sewed in the kitchen, in a closet (small home office), spare bedroom that also held DH's computer, and in the dining room. I've been quilting less than 10 years so I've shuffled around a lot trying to find a place. When we retired we bought a house with an extra bedroom that I claimed for myself.

I sew anywhere there is an outlet, including outside. I wish my treadle was portable LOL! I also embroider (hand) everywhere.

I'd love to have a porch to quilt on. We have a back deck but its just not the same :hunf: I quilt in my sewing room, sitting room and my friends' homes when we have our by-weekly get togethers.

I used to sew in our dining room, then moved to our bedroom, to our living room (since we now have a family room too) and now upstairs. I have a sewing room but it is extra small and I cannot do all in there - I have to cut downstairs.. it's a pain but good exercise. One day when all the kids are gone I will have the big bedroom upstairs.. it's about 16 ' x 20' - it will be all mine!! :) I do most of my handsewing wherever life takes me...

I cross stitch everywhere, including the park, the bus, the waiting room, I mean it, everywhere. If I am attaching a binding I will also do it everywhere as long as the quilt can be easily carried. I was making a quilt with some friends from work a while back and I needed a large area to iron, so I took my two irons and boards to the porch. I have set up my machine on the porch as well. Anywhere you are comfortable is a great place.

Blog Entries
    wow, your house is cool looking, Yes I would sew on the front porch, just plug you in a fan and sew sew sew

do you have a ceiling fan on the porch to help circulate air

you could always get a small room air conditioner so you could stay inside

have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by stpatmom
    Our house is old and doesn't have central air. It gets quite stuffy on hot and humid days. We're having a decent stream of hot weather near the 90's lately and I told my husband that I was going to sew on the front porch. He said I was crazy and that would look really "redneck"! (If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black!)

What different places have you sewn in? I've sat outside sewing in the dark when we went camping and used a battery operated lantern and the stars for light.

Redneck? That is funny! I sew wherever works for me. My home is my castle ;-)

I have been banned to my sewing room because I have a habit of Taking over wherever I am. I would sew in the family room if they let me since we got a TV for Christmas- a 47" lcd flat screen. I LOVE it. Our old one was hit by lightening 8 years ago but didn't die so we watched it with people with green and blue hair in the upper corners and pink and red in the lower corners. I got tired of strange colors and the TV "appeared" out of nowhere.

I have a small sewing room with 3 machines, but I also have a sewing machine set up in my kitchen. I am thinking about moving one to our front porch, just so I can spend some time outdoors.

Blog Entries
    No, redneck would be if you climbed into the back of the pickup that sits on blocks in your front yard and quilted there. That would be redneck. Or if you sat on the toilet in the yard and sewed. lol

I think heat is the quilter's enemy because the fabric and particularly the sandwich adds a lot of warms and we don't want our hands to sweat too much because we can't pull the needle. My sewing generally doesn't make it out of my sewing room but I've read posts on the QB where the island gals and some from the Mediterranean area take their sewing space outside.

My sewing room is in a spare bedroom. Over the years I have sewn in the kitchen, basement in our house in Denver, and now in a spare bedroom. What I wouldn't give to have a screened in porch to sew in. I would love the feeling of being outdoors while I'm toiling away. :D
    I want to join AtHomeSewing, and sew while looking at that beautiful koi pond. :thumbup:

counted x-stitch camping, in and out of the tent....
    sewing machine, living room, kitchen, hotel room, weekend away at resort. no sewing machine outside as of yet...

Blog Entries
    I would love to be able to sit out on a porch and sew :D:D:D nothing redneck about that!!!

I have my sewing area in the dining rm. We are "empty nesters" now, so there is no issue using the dining rm. I have sewed on our deck : just outside the garage .......it worked for me....it was a rather quiet activity as compared to "power washers" or mowing lawns etc that one hears in the neighborhood. No negative comments from anyone !

Front porch! Sounds wonderful. I'm willing to build one now just to have the porch sewing experience.

I do have a sun porch out back but someone else has claimed it as his TV/reading room.

I have my own sewing room now, but I've sewed in the dining room, family room, kitchen, living room, and foyer(which was 8'x15'). I like having my own space now with my cat, TIA who sleeps on a chair pad, cutting table or ironing board if they're not in use.

Blog Entries
    I sew in a large section of the basement (and it's still growing but needs to be rearranged). I have machines in a spare room and one in my room.

If the other 2 kids moved out, I'm sure I'd stake claim on their rooms too :) :)

I can't leave home without some sort of stitching in my bag. I've quilted in planes,airport terminals, on the beach, on a train, even on a boat. Beach sand will wash out of anything, so nothing really stops me. In fact, I've met some of the most interesting people when they see me working on some project or the other. It always attracts other quilters, and even "younger" people who remember someone in their family who "sewed".

I just got the latest issue of Quilting Arts magazine and Pokey Bolton, the editor in chief, says she takes her sewing machine out on the front porch to sew just to enjoy being outside and not stuck in the studio. If it doesn't bother her (as a very public figure), I don't think it should bother you. Granted, she lives in MA and rednecks are scarcer than lobster teeth up here in New England. ;) :)

I have sewn in my dining room but now I sew in my sewing room upstairs. We do not have central air, either, but it is comfortable with one window unit upstairs and one down. Every summer, a group of teacher friends and I go to the lake...none of them quilt. I would love to sew there...it is a beautiful cottage...lakefront with a huge screened porch. I am just itching to sew there!

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    We have a patio with an adjoining koi pond. This summer my sewing buddy is coming over and we're going to move it all out to the patio for the weekend. Maybe do some fabric inking out there too!

Hubby will be BBQ'ing for us....Can't wait! :)
    Gee, that sounds like fun. You sew. He cooks. Great plan.

I sew all over the place. The back patio in the morning before it gets too hot and the front porch in the afternnon, it is totally in the shade. It is wonderful to sew outside.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast