Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird places to sew

Weird places to sew

Where is the strangest place you have set up a sewing space? I had the strangest thought today. My master bathroom is huge. Well lit, plenty of outlets. But a crazy idea!
    I have, before, set up my sewing machine on one end of an ironing board, set low, at the end of my best friend's bed, as she was in her final days.

Go for it! Plenty of light and outlets - my dream space! Who cares if it's in the bathroom? I would definitely sew in mine if it wasn't the size of a henhouse.

A very small henhouse.
    Margaret F

I didn't really setup a sewing space, but I have a set of plastic containers that go in our RV. I do hand sewing. Usually EPP, but I did applique the center motive of my DD wedding quilt while traveling around the Southwest. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t247008.html
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Hmm...we're in the design phase of a master bath reno. The designer suggested a make-up counter in front of the large window where the tub sits now (we're getting rid of that tub to enlarge the shower). I don't wear a lot of make-up so that idea didn't thrill me but maybe it could be a sewing counter... great natural light. No, I have a sewing room so I don't need that.
    Not a strange place but, I have set up my machine on my screened porch. Good light, nice breeze and I can hear the birds.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Power Poster
    ​I set up my sewing machine in the church sanctuary on a card table. I was sewing banners that had to be measured and fitted.

Not strange, but I like to sew on our deck. When it's really hot, the large maple tree provides shade for relief. On occasion I have to weight fabric pieces to keep them from blowing away. : )

Blog Entries
    When I was young I was a dining room waitress, we had a banquet room that I could watch the dining room in. I had my sewing machine there until the boss found it....

Blog Entries
    The humidity in a bathroom would probably be bad for your sewing machine. Just a thought.

I haven't sewn in any unusual places but I have pretty much taken over the whole house with various quilting tasks. Cutting on the kitchen island. Sewing in my small sewing room and also a space in the basement for my Featherweight. Basting in the dining room. Quilting on my Sweet Sixteen in the living room. Actually, the bathrooms are the only sewing-free places, unless you count the stray threads and dog ear trims that occasionally make their way in there.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 03-06-2017 at 05:41 AM.

I don't know how weird this is, but I sew in my dining room. In fact, I have taken it over as my sewing space. It's perfect: Lots of natural light by day, and a chandelier-type light overhead with 6 bulbs for light by night.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have taken our formal living room and dining room as our quilting area. Our LA is in the formal LR and I have a sewing machine on the dining room table to sew bindings when quilting. IMHO formal areas are overrated.

I have a friend who has no space on any flat surface in her house. So she is sewing on a portable table in front of a recliner. Seems awkward to me.

Had a small bedroom at one time and it had a walk in closet(small), Used it as a sewing spot for the machine.

Blog Entries
    *** Had a small house then and had to set it up on an ottoman.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Years ago I worked the overnight shift at a call center. After everyone else left I set up my sewing machine in my cube to work between calls. I got very few calls so I could get a lot done. I brought one of the really small irons to iron down the seams.
    Quilter, Cross Stitcher, Troublemaker when able - Karen Joy

Sewing in the master bathroom? I'm thinking bare feet and pins, cords you might trip over in the dark?

This wonderful lady had her machine set up on the beach in Jamaica.

Jamaica. On the beach.

I honestly can't think of a better sewing room.

May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

We spend months in our 5th wheel camper with a large walk-thru bathroom next to the bedroom. Last week, I laid out my quilt blocks on the bed in the order I wanted to sew them. I set up my sewing machine in the bathroom so that I could reach the blocks I need to sew next. I worked great for that short while. I usually sew in the livingroom.
    jean

That's where I sew as well -- the only dining room furniture in there is a hutch I'm not willing to part with. Haven't done any quilting and am very new to this piece of the sewing picture, but am anxious to get started. Hoping I can set up all the stations I've been learning about (cutting, pressing, sewing, etc.).

Not really anywhere but the dining room table before I got a sewing room. I still use the glass topped dining table to pin my sandwiches together.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I stayed over night in a motel for business and brought my machine for after business hours sewing.

I made drapes to each of our last two houses before the furniture was in. I used a banquet type table set up in the living room of the first house and the same table set up in the dining room of the second house. I moved my ironing board and everything in there so I wouldn't have to traipse yards of fabric around the house just to press a seam.

I put a wool blanket on the table to do the final press.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Not planning to set up in the dining room, but the thought had crossed my mind. It is plenty bis, and the light is the best in the house.

My living area is now my sewing/quilting place. Turned the sewing room into a spare/guest bedroom. Since it's just me now I wanted something that suited me. Love it!

I have a sewing room but it is not big enough. I have 2 machines and my serger set up in there, but the master bedroom has my ironing board and cutting table. I live alone so no one to complain. My bathrooms are the only sewing free areas. This way I do have to get up and move sometimes.

I have long admired Michael Swaine and his most unusual place to sew. Watch him here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqYp8YRZ0fU

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast