Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Weird places to sew >

Weird places to sew

Weird places to sew

Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM

I made drapes to each of our last two houses before the furniture was in. I used a banquet type table set up in the living room of the first house and the same table set up in the dining room of the second house. I moved my ironing board and everything in there so I wouldn't have to traipse yards of fabric around the house just to press a seam.

I put a wool blanket on the table to do the final press.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:36 PM

Not planning to set up in the dining room, but the thought had crossed my mind. It is plenty bis, and the light is the best in the house.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 AM

My living area is now my sewing/quilting place. Turned the sewing room into a spare/guest bedroom. Since it's just me now I wanted something that suited me. Love it!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:16 AM

I have a sewing room but it is not big enough. I have 2 machines and my serger set up in there, but the master bedroom has my ironing board and cutting table. I live alone so no one to complain. My bathrooms are the only sewing free areas. This way I do have to get up and move sometimes.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:42 AM

I have long admired Michael Swaine and his most unusual place to sew. Watch him here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqYp8YRZ0fU
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 AM

I noticed a lady sewing on her machine in a cubicle at a Mexican Flea Market in South Texas. The cubicles had plywood floors, but the walkway was hard packed dirt.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 AM

My husband's truck has a 110 outlet in the dash. The salesman said his wife uses his to heat her curling iron when they are on the road. If it heats a curling iron, surely it would run a sewing machine. Haven't tried it but should one of these days. Would be wonderful on a road trip. Kathy
Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 AM

In our 5th-wheel.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:17 PM

I've sewn on a picnic table under a canopy in front of our RV. Inside the RV on the dinette is a problem because the dinette is a booth style and my legs are too short to reach the foot pedal on the floor. My husband solved that by building a platform that fits under the table and raised my foot pedal to where I can reach it. My ironing pad goes on the stove cover and my small cutting mat goes on the counter. Works, but not ideal.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Like Just1MoreStitcher, I've set up my sewing machine at work many times. On days with lots of downtime, I will hand quilt, press fabric, or cut pieces in the locker room/bathroom. I am one of only three women, and the other two work in areas closer to other bathrooms, so rarely enter this one. I'm on call the whole time, so often have to drop everything mid-stitch.

On night shifts there are no crews and just me and two coworkers. On nights, I set up in one of the crew's break rooms. They have big lunch tables and lots of light, along with a tv (I have recently started hooking up my computer and playing French lesson videos.) I get a nice sewing space and the crew comes in to a clean lunch table every morning. The only downside is that I have to break down every morning, but I've moved a locker onto the same floor, so it's easier to store my machine and my work.

There is another area I work where I sit in a small concrete shack with windows. Often, I have to sit in this shack for my job, but mostly it's just waiting, so there is a lot of time for my hand quilting (or crochet). There is no table, so I just sit in the share and prop my lap hoop on the edge of some equipment.

I'll also add the Senior Center since I'm only in my 30s. The room we use for quilting is next to the room with the gun range.