View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Sleepy Hollow

Like Just1MoreStitcher, I've set up my sewing machine at work many times. On days with lots of downtime, I will hand quilt, press fabric, or cut pieces in the locker room/bathroom. I am one of only three women, and the other two work in areas closer to other bathrooms, so rarely enter this one. I'm on call the whole time, so often have to drop everything mid-stitch.

On night shifts there are no crews and just me and two coworkers. On nights, I set up in one of the crew's break rooms. They have big lunch tables and lots of light, along with a tv (I have recently started hooking up my computer and playing French lesson videos.) I get a nice sewing space and the crew comes in to a clean lunch table every morning. The only downside is that I have to break down every morning, but I've moved a locker onto the same floor, so it's easier to store my machine and my work.

There is another area I work where I sit in a small concrete shack with windows. Often, I have to sit in this shack for my job, but mostly it's just waiting, so there is a lot of time for my hand quilting (or crochet). There is no table, so I just sit in the share and prop my lap hoop on the edge of some equipment.

I'll also add the Senior Center since I'm only in my 30s. The room we use for quilting is next to the room with the gun range.