Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling to Maine >

Traveling to Maine

Traveling to Maine

Old 04-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Traveling to Maine

Hey yall. I am traveling from mid state Pennsylvania to Maine in May. Are there any "must see" fabric stores/quilt shops along the way?
Old 04-29-2017, 02:14 PM

I love the one in Demariscotta, a little town not too far from Boothbay Harbor off of 295. Cute little town with a few shops and restaurants. On your way in, there is another town with a shop that has wooden things made by prisoners and another quilt shop is there on the left just before the bridge.

Where are you headed to in Maine? It's a big state. We are leaving in two weeks to head for northern Maine/Canada for 5 weeks. Are you RVing?
Old 04-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Sorry, that is Damariscotta.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:50 PM
mkc

A second "Where in Maine?" Fabric Garden in Madison, any Marden's with a fabric department....

Michelle
Old 04-29-2017, 03:51 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
Where are you headed to in Maine? It's a big state. We are leaving in two weeks to head for northern Maine/Canada for 5 weeks. Are you RVing?
If RVing into Maine in May, be SURE the RV park you want to stay at is open. Most don't open until Memorial Day (that actually applies to most RV parks in the northeast). (We spend 3-5 months RVing in Maine every year)

Michelle
Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Bar Harbor. We are RV'ing too. We did have a bit of issue finding a place that we wanted to stay at that was open. We stayed at Libby's two years ago. Nice but wanted to see something different this time. My daughter has her heart set on finding a moose. Lord I hope we see one. That is a long way to go to be disappointed. We are also stopping at the Brimfield Flea Mkt on the way.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:57 PM

Marden's as already suggested except for Biddeford and Gray. If you don't see any moose in the wild, you can see them at the Maine Wildlife Park. http://www.maine.gov/ifw/education/w...park/index.htm
Old 04-29-2017, 06:15 PM

Thank you Pennycandy. I will keep this in mind.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 PM

Consider taking a circuitous route from Brimfield to Bar Harbor to get you into Center Harbor, NH. It'd be a shame not to stop at Keepsake Quilting as long as you're coming up this way.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:29 AM

I agree with ghostrider - a side trip to Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor would be first on my list. Two other worthy of stops (imho) are The Quilted Crow in Bolton MA and Quilted Threads in Henniker NH.

Obtw - Mardens is a surplus store and well worth a stop - especially for fabric - but your DH might be entertained as well. My DH always leaves with something that is a "bargain". There is one in Ellsworth ME, another in Sanford ME and one in Scarborough ME (there is a nice campground not too far from this one - lol). All three of these Mardens should be right on your way if you are traveling the 95 corridor.