Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it already vacation time? >

Is it already vacation time?

Is it already vacation time?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Default Is it already vacation time?

This is for Everybody to reply including lurkers... In my imaginary empty pockets world you might be able to hop in my imaginary tour bus and take a turn being the tour guide near where You live - we are all best of friends right? Anyone can come with me if you need this vacation as much as I do... If you had an imaginary visitor, what would be an attraction near you that you might highly recommend? Where is a great unique place to eat? How about an awesome fabric shop? Other shopping (Is there any Other kind of shopping?) Thrift stores? Antique stores? Cool flea markets? Scenery? museums? Places that teach how to sew and recycle for poor people? (especially tell me about those places) Camping spots? Parks? Hiking? What is cool (to you) about where you are near. I'm easy to please. If the truck stop is a nail but somebody sells home made root beer or ice cream or both I'm a sucker... Is there is nothing to see or do where you live let please, please, please say where it is so we don't go there. I'm not fishing for invitations cause likely I might not get to do it anyway but an imaginary vacation is better than no vacation. Send post cards if you do go... Pictures welcome.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 05-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Letchworth State Park, the Grand Canyon of the East
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx
and at the Dansville south exit a smidge on the right is a wonderful quilt shop Material Rewards
http://www.materialrewards.com/
Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Any of our Big Five national parks in Utah.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I live on Long Island NY. we have wonderful beaches and Montauk Point lighthouse. beautiful north and south shore beaches. the snobby rich in the Hamptons and New York City is just busting with EVERYTHING!!!! WE have farms, county fairs and some quilting stores. WE have north fork and south fork wineries and wonderful fishing nad golf courses. In my condo complex we have indoor outdoor pools, hot tub, steam rooms, bocci, shuffle board, tennis, basketball, golf, a library a cafe and a tiki bar with the cheapest price on drinks all summer long. Come to Long Island and see what we have to offer.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

If you like bird watching, I live near the largest Great Blue Heron Rookery in Pennsylvania. It is a sight to see when the young ones fledge.

The Delaware River has canals on both sides which are Rails to Trails paths. The PA Canal 65 miles long and is a great place for hiking and biking with lots of small towns along the way to find great food and shopping.

For history buffs, Washington Crossing State Park is just down the river along the canal and yes it is the place where the army crossed and headed to Trenton and Princeton.

The Crayola factory is up the river. Watch crayons being made and a fun place for little kids.

There is lots of camping grounds around my area.

Lots of 2nd hand shops and antiquing in many small towns.

I love the eastern edge of PA and call my home Camp lulu.

peace
Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
If you like bird watching, I live near the largest Great Blue Heron Rookery in Pennsylvania. It is a sight to see when the young ones fledge.

The Delaware River has canals on both sides which are Rails to Trails paths. The PA Canal 65 miles long and is a great place for hiking and biking with lots of small towns along the way to find great food and shopping.

For history buffs, Washington Crossing State Park is just down the river along the canal and yes it is the place where the army crossed and headed to Trenton and Princeton.

The Crayola factory is up the river. Watch crayons being made and a fun place for little kids.

There is lots of camping grounds around my area.

Lots of 2nd hand shops and antiquing in many small towns.

I love the eastern edge of PA and call my home Camp lulu.

peace
This is what I'm looking to find!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 PM

I hope you get a response from every state!! Come to Minnesota! Our North Shore, with its pristine rivers, and forests and hiking trails is a must. See the lighthouses and lift bridge, watch freighters come and go, and dine on smoked fish and wine.

Love craft beer? We have dozens of breweries waiting for you.

Minneapolis is hip and modern with rooftop dining, miles of bike trails, art festivals, and a summer aquatennial celebration. There are fabric warehouses, and LQS too!

St. Paul is an old river town with hills and bluffs, and museums and depots, antique and second hand stores, and great eateries.

Head south to see the rolling river towns with scenery galore, and a history lesson around every corner.

Head west and experience farms and salt of the earth people you feel like you've known all your life.

Northern Minnesota is our hidden gem. Lakes abound, with camping, cottages, cabins, resorts, RV parks and magnificent lake homes. Swim, ski, fish, tube, lounge in a hammock, or sit on the edge of the dock and dip your toes in the water. Gather round a campfire at night, and watch the sparks dance, and the embers glow. Check out the stars, and be lulled to sleep by waves lapping, and loons calling.

Come!!! You won't be disappointed!!
Old 05-13-2017, 02:30 AM

ube...you must be just across the river from me! Your description of the area is perfect. Miriam - you can ditto that for this portion of NJ as well.

Some other areas - Eastern shore of MD - quaint little towns with great antique shops; incredibly relaxing and delicious waterfront restaurants and beautiful river views and excursions. One of my favorite places.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
ube...you must be just across the river from me! Your description of the area is perfect. Miriam - you can ditto that for this portion of NJ as well.

Some other areas - Eastern shore of MD - quaint little towns with great antique shops; incredibly relaxing and delicious waterfront restaurants and beautiful river views and excursions. One of my favorite places.
Isn't the Delaware River beautiful. It is the exact opposite of the rivers of the west where white water rafting is the main event. The Delaware is inviting you to slow down, relax and drift downstream and recharge your soul.

We also have the best ice cream in PA/NJ at the OWOWCOW stores. Look them up!

I just remembered there are two small baseball clubs not far away, The Iron Pigs in historic Bethlehem PA and the Trenton Thunder in the state capital, NJ.

Unfortunately there are no fabric shops near me. The closest is about 40 miles away and my favorite is 70 miles away.

peace
Old 05-13-2017, 04:00 AM

VanBuren County IA! Website: villagesofvanburen.com will tell you more. It's a lot of small villages along the DesMoines River. Quaint shops of every kind--crafts and fabric/quilting included! Camping and lots of weekend activities throughout the season. Don't miss the Dutchman's Store at Cantril!