Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics? >

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Old 05-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
You would be surprised how beautiful quilts are with multiple of a shade.
If you h ave a pattern that calls for blue, cut from all your blues.
Search google for scrap quilts, and go from there. Just because they fall under the Scrap unbrella doesn't mean they can't be elegant and beautiful.
I could not agree more. I made a quilt from greens and tried to make sure my greens all "went together", and that quilt was quite flat and boring. Made another quilt with greens, this time used ALL my greens: yellow greens, blueish greens, grayish greens, forest greens, sage greens, and kelly greens, and that quilt is a stunner and gets tons of compliments.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Do you have a hospital nearby....I do quilts for comfort for Leukemia patients who receive a bone marrow transplant.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:29 PM

There are so many good suggestions. I was going to suggest any emergency response area - like a Red Cross, or Police Dept. My niece works in an emergency room at a hospital and they keep stuffed animals and even blankets. People come into the ER with the patient that sometimes need a hug.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by pandamommy View Post
Lots of good suggestions. Just be sure and check with the charity first. I live in a rural area and a number of years back a quilting group in one of the neighboring towns made small quilts and gave to the sheriff's office to use and after a couple of years most of them ended up in a clothing bank in my town.
You know, this brings to mind a situation I have pondered about. We make quilts to practice, to experiment, to "use up our stash", to donate so it goes to some good purpose. We have no control over what happens to those quilts once they are out of our grasp.
Does it matter to you if it ends up at Goodwill or being used as a dog blanket? People who don't quilt have no idea what goes into making one. To a disinterested person, a quilt may be no better than a fleece throw you can buy at big-mart for $15.00.
I don't think any of us want our quilts to be put up on a shelf and never used out of fear of getting it dirty, but neither do we want to imagine it will end up being used to haul around chickens in the back of a truck!

I hope the quilts you make to donate will be used and appreciated. And, yes, respected, a little. Like they deserve.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM

I've done women's shelters, foster care, I've asked drs as they do charities here for diabetes n br cancer, I look for ppl raising money for medical bills , the local hospital has like Ronald mc Donald type rooms I've donated to, I've even donated to human society raffels!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 PM

Quilts for Compassion delivers quilts to families who've been involved in natural disasters. They have a Facebook page if you're interested. They usually need adult quilts.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

Hospice! I donate long arm quilting for veteran quilts and hospice quilts. The floral ones are usually destined for hospice and much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:13 PM

Check your local nursery at the hospital, would a local church like some for prayer shawls? Also, some hospices, and crisis pregnancy centers welcome the donations.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
You know, this brings to mind a situation I have pondered about. We make quilts to practice, to experiment, to "use up our stash", to donate so it goes to some good purpose. We have no control over what happens to those quilts once they are out of our grasp.
Does it matter to you if it ends up at Goodwill or being used as a dog blanket? People who don't quilt have no idea what goes into making one. To a disinterested person, a quilt may be no better than a fleece throw you can buy at big-mart for $15.00.
I don't think any of us want our quilts to be put up on a shelf and never used out of fear of getting it dirty, but neither do we want to imagine it will end up being used to haul around chickens in the back of a truck!

I hope the quilts you make to donate will be used and appreciated. And, yes, respected, a little. Like they deserve.
I guess I am in the other camp. I want mine to be used and enjoyed, that is why I put flannel on the back. If being used in the back of a truck to haul chickens is where my quilt goes, I just figure I helped a family farm, nothing wrong with that. If it was good enough for grandmas own quilt, it is good enough for mine.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 AM

I also would like to suggest hospice. Our bee made a lot of lap sized quilts and donated them to a local hospice. We were told they were of comfort to both patients and their families.