Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
embroidery threads to use/not use with the Brother PE770? >

embroidery threads to use/not use with the Brother PE770?

embroidery threads to use/not use with the Brother PE770?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM

Default embroidery threads to use/not use with the Brother PE770?

I just picked up my new embroidery machine, a Brother PE770, and am wondering if there are any machine embroidery threads that don't work well in this machine. So, for those of you with experience with this machine, a penny for your thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:19 AM

First, do not buy lots of one brand. Buy several different brands. Black is the hardest color to work with because of the dying process. The moisture content is a factor, so keep your thread away from direct sunlight and dirt/dust.
Rayon has a beautiful sheen, but it also fades and does not wash as nicely as poly, but don't resist not using rayon, if you like it, use it.
Listen to what others suggest, but make your own decisions. What one person likes is the worst for someone else.
i have used Baby Lock and Beother machines for 30 years. I have used every brand of machine on the market and have owned every bran, except one. I have never had any problem with any brand of thread. But, I do have my favorites. Love Floriani, Marathon, and Exquisite.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 AM

Thank you so much for your input! I have three spools of rayon (Sulky viscose, which is rayon) I bought before I read that rayon sometimes stretches and is problematic, so I was wondering if I should return those. If it fades and doesn't wash as nicely as poly, I think I may return those spools. Today I have been playing around with appliqued hearts, using Coats and Clark polyester thread, and that is stitching out well. I'm having a blast. Already made three beginner mistakes. I think I'm going to discover all of them in Lesson Number One, lol.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 AM

I have that machine. I have not been able to use Coats and Clark embroidery thread, my machine just doesn't seem to like it. I have mostly bought my thread from ThreadArt, and get good results with it.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 AM

I use Polystar, the thread bundle that came with my machine. And I have had success with it. Thread breaking is usually operator error for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Embro...=brother+pe770

Another bundle of thread I bought off Amazon was this pack. I use it with my Brother SQ9000 for the decorative stitches. The colors are beautiful and the thread is quite strong.
https://www.amazon.com/Embroidex-Pol...JWZV7TZ8TJRF2T
Old 06-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jalling View Post
I have that machine. I have not been able to use Coats and Clark embroidery thread, my machine just doesn't seem to like it. I have mostly bought my thread from ThreadArt, and get good results with it.
my brother embroidery machine does not like coats n clarks either if it sounds crunchy running through the tension don't use
Old 06-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Ok, thanks for that tip. I didn't pay attention to the sound as it stitched, but C & C polyester ran and stitched well all morning.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

I have the same machiine. i too, like Polystar, it came with a bundle i got with the machine. They pretty much have the colors I nee/use. I have some flat colors, no sheen i bought with my last Brother machine. good luck and have loads of fun!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:14 PM

Sulky rayon has a nice sheen but unless it has been changed in the last few years it is not colorfast. Isacord and Robison-Anton are good brands.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:37 PM

My Brother SE 350 will use any thread I feed it and stitches out very well with all of them. So far so good. I do not use a special embroidery thread either