Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone help me price a machine? >

Can someone help me price a machine?

Can someone help me price a machine?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Can someone help me price a machine?

Hello out there!

I am not a quilter but my mother was, and when she passed away she left me two of her machines. One of them is tiny and basic, so I have it stashed in a closet just in case I ever need one. The other is definitely beyond anything I would ever want or need, so I've just kept it in the guest bedroom for the past 2 years. Now we're trying to clean out/downsize and I decided it's time to let it go. The problem is that I have no clue what it is worth and can't really find any others online to compare. It also has a TON of accessories with it (this was my mom's travel machine/bag so it's got pretty much everything she needed, I'm guessing) and I'm not sure what kind of value those add, either.

Mostly I'd just like for my mom's stuff to find it's way into the hands of someone who will use and appreciate it, but I also don't want to just give it away (that was not her way ). Is there anyone out there that can help me get an idea for a fair price so I can try to advertise it locally?

Not sure if I'm allowed to post more details publicly on this forum or not, and I honestly I don't even know what all of the stuff in the bag IS, but I do have pictures of everything. If I can post details here, let me know, if not I can send specifics privately to anyone who is willing to help me get a ballpark price on it! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

The tiny machine may be a Singer Featherweight. Google it and you will find they are very sought after by quilter's for travel machines. If it is in good working order, they can sell from $100 to $300 depending on condition.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

As a new member here you are not allowed to actively sell it but you can post the details of the machine looking for advice. Pictures of accessories will help as well.

Things that would help the machine experts/collectors here are of course pics of the machine, make, model, year and serial number of the machine. Value of the machine is pretty much only what someone else is willing to pay for it. Be advised that some machines, no matter what they sold for brand new, may not get much in the resale market. Also you can search E-bay for the type of sewing machine it is and you may find what some have sold for on ebay.

There seems to be a much more active market for vintage all mechanical machines as opposed to newer machines that have computers in them.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

If you search eBay, you need to set up a free eBay account(very easy to do) in order to access "completed listings" for the machine. Without being logged into an account, all you can see are what machines are currently for sale. You need "completed listings" to learn how much machines were actually sold for.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Thanks! It's a Janome 760, in a wheeled Tutto bag. It's got: several different feet, pedal, clear tabletop stand, a couple different sizes of rotary cutters, several pairs of scissors (gingher and fiskers), a cutting mat, the typical stuff like bobbins and pins, a few pokey and hoopy things that I can't even begin to guess what they are, a bag of what looks like cleaning supplies and/or some extra attachments, plus a small travel size iron. It has the manual with it as well.

Any guesses on a fair combined value for a package deal?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Do you know where/when she bought the machine?
The dealer may be able to help you out ... regarding today's fair value.
Plus, might even help in the sale of the machine.

Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM

Don't be in too much of a hurry to sell the machine and the contents of the travel bag. I don't think the machine has a lot of value, but with the other items, the value goes up, imho. It sounds like a package that a new quilter would love to have. Good luck with your sale, and I hope someone who is just starting to sew--quilt will give it a good home. That is my hope when I am gone and my girls sell my "stuff". I told them not to throw anything away, but find it a good home. Three daughters and none of them sew--pity isn't it. I know I haven't been a lot of help, but I know your mom would be happy with what you are doing.
Sue
Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 PM

I actually sold one through a LQS to one of their students. Turns out the shop owner knew it was worth much more as that was what she was still using.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM

With the tutto bag it's about $400 pkg . The machine is a keeper and if in nice shape it'd bring about $300 as these were popular machines and sold for $600 new when current models. I believe it can still be ordered NIB through Janome dealers. They are small but as capable as a full-sized machine with nice features and proven track record
Old 06-21-2017, 05:35 AM

This is exactly why I have put price tags on my sewing machines so my children don't give away the machines but have a starting point with what I paid for them. I know I won't care when I'm gone but I would like for them to have an idea of the prices or value of them. When I look at my fabrics I think about it and it makes me sad. I saw a post the other day about what quilters would pay for fabrics that have been pre owned and it broke my heart because I look at fabrics on Etsy that are a couple of years old and the price is ridiculous like over $4.50 for a fat quarter, but yet most people said they would not pay even close to what the cost for yardage is just because it was pre owned.