Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine locked up. >

Machine locked up.

Machine locked up.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Default Machine locked up.

I was sewing binding on my quilt and it stopped. The needle won't budge (of course it froze needle down), the hand wheel won't turn. I managed to get the needle out of the binding so I could remove it. I took the housing off, couldn't see any obvious problem. It's a Brother 1500 PS so it's all mechanical, easy to see most problems. Nothing in the bobbin area looked out of place. So I have it in the shop now. It needed the reverse lever spring re strung anyway(it popped off a few months ago) This machine is years old, first model of the 1500. I love it. I will post what the problem was as soon as it's fixed. I know many here have this machine and will want to know what it was in case their machine has the same problem.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

A broken gear can do that.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

I have the parts manual and how everything goes together. I don't know why I have that, I don't want to take the machine apart. LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 02:58 PM

I had one lock up on me. I forgot to oil it. Duh
Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Gay

ditto - cjsews - I didn't think the needle shaft that goes up an down needed oiling. After all, we're told not to oil anything as it happens automatically.
I would like to find out how to get the covers of so I can blow out the dust bunnies, but my manual doesn't show me that
Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

All moving parts should be oiled, especially on the straight stitch only machines. I don't have computerized machines.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
ditto - cjsews - I didn't think the needle shaft that goes up an down needed oiling. After all, we're told not to oil anything as it happens automatically.
I would like to find out how to get the covers of so I can blow out the dust bunnies, but my manual doesn't show me that
I have a different Brother than yours, but the screw may be in the same place, which is on the back side of the top of the machine over by the needle.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I have a Brother SQ9000 (bought July 2010) and it started acting funny about a year ago. Jim took it all apart and oiled and cleaned it for me. It has been fine ever since. I did have to wait several days to do any sewing as there was a bit of oil coming down the needle shaft, but that is a small price to pay.

I'm hoping your baby will not cost too much to fix.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
we're told not to oil anything as it happens automatically.
Told by whom? It all depends on your machine. You should do what your manual says. My Brother PQ1500's manual says to oil, and has illustrations that show the specific spots to oil and how often. My Brother SE 270D's manual says NOT to oil, because it's sealed and is self-oiling.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

My 1500 has screws in the top and on both sides. Easy to take the housing off. The bottom comes off by unscrewing the feet pads and two screws by the bobbin area.
If you have a self oiling machine, the manufacturer assumes you will be taking it in for check up as the manual suggests. The machine will get a good oiling or dose of silicone to last until next maint check up. The machine will not last forever with no lubrication to keep it self oiled.