Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Making popcorn >

Making popcorn

Making popcorn

Old 07-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Making popcorn

I've always loved popcorn. Growing up, on Saturday night, we set our glass bottle of soda outside in the winter for about an hour then it would get partially frozen. Mom made popcorn and I was in Heaven.

I've tried every possible way to make popcorn since and nothing matches it until last week I bought an Orville Redenbacker Power Pop in a thrift store. It came with a package of the necessary paper disks to put in the popper before the corn AND the owners manual. Best thing about this, Power Pops are still sold in stores so if it breaks, I can get another ! Took many years but finally have great popcorn again !
Old 07-11-2017, 05:42 PM

I still make popcorn the old-fashioned way... in a pot with a little oil, and once the kernels start popping, I jostle the pot over the element to help avoid burning, and when the popping subsides, I dump the popped-corn into a large Tupperware bowl, add butter (real) and salt, and enjoy! And yes, gotta have my Coke with it!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:55 PM

kettle corn is my favorite, sort of caramel with a bit of salt. Wayyyyy over priced at fairs, but easy to make at home.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

now I want kettle corn. I love it. see what you all did???
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 PM

How do you make kettle corn at home?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 AM

Not sure of the quantity you make, but just add some sugar while you're popping and it will taste like kettle corn :-). Yumm.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:47 AM

I love popcorn. I made some n the microwave every afternoon after my kids left the classroom for the day to snack on while I prepared for the next day. DS both me a Whirley Pop (brand) popcorn popper for Christmas 3 years ago, you use it on top of the stove, and turn a hand crank attached to a stirrer inside the pot. I love it, but still buy the big bags that are pre popped at HEB when we are there. I can eat popcorn every day, but just want butter and salt on it, no other way for me. I don't even have to have a coke, glass of water is just fine.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM

You can also put in about a teaspoon of brown sugar as the kernnels start to pop. Yummy!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Remember Jiffy Pop? Came in its own pan and the foil top expanded as the corn popped. Amazing when you are a kid.

I still make it in a pan.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:07 PM

We used to make popcorn in a heavy dutch oven with glass cover. Because we used a small amount of canola oil, I hated the cleanup. (I'd rather be quilting!) Enter the Micro-Pop Popcorn Popper :-) This is a heat tempered glass container with handle and a silcone perforated lid. You use the Micro-Pop unit in the microwave oven to pop the kernels without oil. In less than three minutes the popcorn is ready. I always melt the butter separately in a small heat proof container with pouring spout. Pour the fresh popcorn into a large bowl, then season to taste. The unit is the best investment I've made for kitchen gadgets under twenty bucks! (I have no connection to the manufacturer...)