Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with Singer 15-91, Please? >

Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Stucks screws and parts in general it's about patience, oil, more oil and various spray can stuff like PB blaster can make a differece too. The ideal scew driver fits the groove in the screw perfectly and has a sturdy solid handle. I bought a 201 a couple of years a go (three years this autumn). It has a screw in the bottom center below the bobbin case. I could never get it out, and I didn't want to force it too much, which meant I let it be but I oiled it regularly since there's an oil point there. Now and then I tried to loosen it, and a couple of weeks ago it was loose, no effort at all, just gently turning the screw driver all the way. I know it will loosen with a bit of oil and wiggeling it now and then. Since your machine has the direct drive gear and potted motor I'm guessing your machine will need cleaning and lubrication behind there.

I might have misunderstood you a bit in the initial post, but I see you are all onto it. Very odd about wasp nests, but you are not alone. I think read somone found a mouse nest in a cabinet a year or so ago.

Last edited by Mickey2; 07-24-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:54 PM

I had to laugh! I have to borrow a saying: "Re-doing old sewing machines ain't for sissies." I don't envy you on that one.

What I would do is put it on it's faceplate in a way that it doesn't rest on the tension or thread take up lever. I would try a paperback book (or 2), or a brick, or maybe a big roll of packing tape - anything that the faceplate can rest on that will keep the tension and thread take up lever not resting on anything. I just did a demo photo. It's not a 15-91, but it shows what I'm talking about. It has a knob on the faceplate and that was what was on my bench today. Just make sure that you don't bend anything on the face. Then drop your oil on that screw and blow it on high with a hairdryer the next day and see if it moves. (I've even heard of putting an oiled machine in your car in the sun.)

bk
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1408.jpg   dsc_1406.jpg   dsc_1403.jpg  

Last edited by bkay; 07-24-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 07-24-2017, 12:57 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577167[/ATTACH]These mud daubers were very busy. all the way up the pillar, turned at the driveshaft, and went behind the faceplate. Turning now , but I still can't get it to spin freely. One day. Machine from Marion County KS.

and Congrats on you patience Micky2
Attached Thumbnails 04-crop-mud.jpg  
Old 07-24-2017, 01:03 PM

bkay I have measured the inside of my van at 140 degrees. Serious heat in the sun in a vehicle. I used to melt cassette tapes. Oooops.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:11 PM

Ha, I can certainly put it in my truck in the sun tomorrow, bkay! With this heat we have been having lately, if I was a screw I would come loose so fast just so I could be brought back into the AC house! Lol!

I've been putting drops of oil on the screw all day, so hopefully I get some progress before three years pass like Micky! If my DH has time after work today, I'll see if he can maybe pick up some PBblaster for me on his way home. I really appreciate all your help and encouragement. Honestly, I probably would have given up by now without the QB members. Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577167[/ATTACH]These mud daubers were very busy. all the way up the pillar, turned at the driveshaft, and went behind the faceplate. Turning now , but I still can't get it to spin freely. One day. Machine from Marion County KS.

and Congrats on you patience Micky2
Bravo, leonf, for your patience with those mud wasps! Wow!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM

I don't know if you have seen these, but they are very good links for the potted motor and screwdrivers -
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ge...g-on-your.html
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/ho...rt-1-wire.html

Depending on the machine, I might be tempted to power wash for mud daubers. I've been fortunate and not found anything other than dried oil and lint in my machines. I'm not sure how I would handle if found what this person did -> http://sewingrepairblog.com/you-can-call-me-batman

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I don't know if you have seen these, but they are very good links for the potted motor and screwdrivers -
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ge...g-on-your.html
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/ho...rt-1-wire.html

Depending on the machine, I might be tempted to power wash for mud daubers. I've been fortunate and not found anything other than dried oil and lint in my machines. I'm not sure how I would handle if found what this person did -> http://sewingrepairblog.com/you-can-call-me-batman

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Thanks for the links. All information on potted motors is helpful! I checked my screwdriver and I'm using the correct one, but I'm guessing the previous owner, or whoever last played around with this machine, did not and they ended up stripping the screw.

Oh, and concerning finding a bat in a machine, I'll take an old wasp nest any day!!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM

A more drastic solution could include drilling out the old set screw. If you are lucky enough to have access to left handed drill bits they would try to unscrew it as they drill it. if not, you risk messing up the threads in the knurled knob. They can be re threaded, but perhaps it may need a bigger set screw. Other options exist, but they aren't fun either. Patience is a virtue. Thankfully you are working on a common knob so parts do exist.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:40 PM

I'm worried now, leonf. Do you think I might not be able to get it off because it is stripped? I'm trying everything suggested here. The room smells like PBblaster! If I can't get this screw off, I can't do any repairs at all, as this is the only way to get into the potted motor.