Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with Singer 15-91, Please? >

Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

I got my new Singer 15-91, and I'm starting the rewiring today. But I bumped into a problem before I had even undone the first screw--- that is the problem. The knurled screw on the balance wheel is soooo tightly in place and probably de-threaded I can't loosen it! The person who last tightened it was one of those people who obviously don't know their own strength. Any help or tips to loosening it enough to get the balance wheel off? Thank you!!!

PS. My screwdriver is bending in my attempts!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 AM

Are you talking about the clutch knob itself or the screw that is on the clutch knob so you don't unscrew the knurled part all the way off when you want to wind the bobbin?

It may take some time to get it off. Do you have Tri-Flow? I know just a drop around the edge let set overnight has helped some stubborn screws I've had. I have also used Kroil and some other things. Maybe position the machine so it will seep down to the screw threads. Heat from a blow dryer might help, too.

You might be able to use a strap wrench for a stuck knob, once the screw is out. It is a different kind of knob, but John made a wrench for the Atlas machine at Pink Atlas - AAZ-60 - what cams?? You'll notice a piece of rubbery strip that helps to grab and protect the finish.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:04 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for answering, Janey! I'll try those suggestions. I don't have tri-flow oil, but I have sewing machine oil and Remington oil (my DH's). Would that work instead? I have Tri-Flow on my list of things to order, so I'll be getting some here soon.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 AM

It's just as likely to get stuck because it's frozen up and needs oil. It takes quite some effort to get oil to dribble along the horizontal axle all the way out to the stop motion screw (a.k.a clutch knob, etc). There is an oil point on top of the machine, just to the left of the balance wheel. Poke down it with a tooth pick to ceck if it's clear or clogged up. Tilt the machine towards the right (place a book, folded towel or something under the left side of the machine), then add one drop of oil after another to this oil point, turn the hand wheel and keep on adding oil. If you just add oil to this oil point and don't thick much more of it, the oil will just dribble down the vertical axle and the horizontal axle which the hand wheel and cluch is fitted on will usually stay bone dry. There's not much point in fuzzing with the setting screw on the chromed knob until it's loose. Once freed up it can be taken off, cleaned and oiled if needed.

Trilfow is nice it has added teflon which make things run very smootly, and it's very good to unstick gummed up parts. Keep on using the oils you have, they will do the job, and when you get your hands on a bottle of Triflow just switch to it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 07-24-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577150[/ATTACH]I am still a bit hazy on your question, NZ. Are you talking about the little set screw with the flat blade slot or the knurled knob. Wait, if you are bending your screwdriver, you must be talking about the little set screw. Penetrating oil . Try to get it to turn the other direction a few degrees to break it loose. Heat. I'd say to make sure your screwdriver fits, but if you have a good enough grip to be torqueing the screwdriver that isn't likely the problem. In drastic cases. you may need to put the screwdriver in place and tap in with a hammer like you are using a nail punch. Try other things first though and I should say, "You are remembering lefty loosey aren't you?"
Attached Thumbnails clutch-knob-set-screw.-b.jpg  
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 AM

One other thought. Do you have a stronger screwdriver that will fit? Those that come with sewing machines are nice if everything is new. A little weak for old service.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM

I really appreciate the advice, everyone! Makes me have hope that it's not a lost cause. Yes, it's the little set screw in the chrome wheel/knob; sorry, my user manual called it a knurled screw, so I don't know what else to call it. I'll keep trying the oil. So far I'm not having much success, but I haven't tried heat yet.

I'm just hoping and praying that I can get this screw loose enough to take off the balance wheel. The machine motor runs fine, I just need to rewire it. I can't imagine how awful it will be if I can't use this beauty of a machine just because of one silly screw!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
One other thought. Do you have a stronger screwdriver that will fit? Those that come with sewing machines are nice if everything is new. A little weak for old service.
That's a good point. My DH is an electrician, so I'll see what he has in the way of other screwdrivers when he comes home tonight. (He has a collection it seems!) He has bought me a nice set for my "sewing machine repairs" collection, but the only ones that fit are the old ones that came with the machine.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM

PBblaster works pretty well, too. It's a penetrating oil that you use to loosen screws. The problem will be to get it to flow sideways. Maybe if you propped the machine up so that the screw was more perpendicular.

One of these will work. It might take a few days of letting the oil get down in there, but it will work.

bkay
Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
PBblaster works pretty well, too. It's a penetrating oil that you use to loosen screws. The problem will be to get it to flow sideways. Maybe if you propped the machine up so that the screw was more perpendicular.

One of these will work. It might take a few days of letting the oil get down in there, but it will work.

bkay
Thanks, bkay. I'll see if I can pick PBblaster up here soon.

I turned my machine up like this so that the oil might be able to sink into the screw threads and what did I find up the pillar? An old mud wasp nest! Seriously!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg