Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weatherproof fabric for stadium blanket >

Weatherproof fabric for stadium blanket

Weatherproof fabric for stadium blanket

Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Default Weatherproof fabric for stadium blanket

Has anyone made a quilt for outdoor use? It will be used during all kinds of cold and rainy weather and I would like to make a patterned quilt using musical instruments on one side and the weatherproof fabric on the outside, but I'm not sure of what type of fabric would work best. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Wool is warm and retains much of its insulating properties when wet. For a rainproof layer I would look at camping type fabrics used for backpacks, tents, jackets, etc.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Jo-Ann's and Walmart carry that "rubberized" fabric that is used for baby diapers covers and changing pads--and you could use a solid. Or, what about tarp? I saw an article in a quilting magazine about a woman that uses different colored tarps(I've only noticed blue, but she seems to have found many different colors) to make up the top and probably the back to. just used a bigger needle and thicker thread.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM

There's a waterproof spray that you can put on your fabric, like Aqua Armor.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Has anyone made a quilt for outdoor use? It will be used during all kinds of cold and rainy weather and I would like to make a patterned quilt using musical instruments on one side and the weatherproof fabric on the outside, but I'm not sure of what type of fabric would work best. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
When my grandson was younger we went to all of his baseball practices, and games. It was sometimes cold. I would use some type of wool if you're in cold weather. I remember a blanket that was issues in the armed services, very warm. I did try a piece of plastic between the layers, did not work, plastic was real cold. They now have covers that will go over your chair and yourself, zip it up and there's no wind, rain that can get in, only your head is showing. You can use an umbrella there. I appliqued huge letters of the team names on mine, using a white piece of naugahyde I had. Check under MyPod on google. Syl
Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 PM

Odif manufacturer of 505 spray make a liquid you can paint on any fabric to make it waterproof, otherwise you could use the plastic coated fabric you can get in the home furnishing fabric section of Joanns. I've used it for outdoor furniture cushions.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

i would probably just make the quilt and then bring a plastic tarp to lay down first
Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i would probably just make the quilt and then bring a plastic tarp to lay down first
Or use the quilt/blanket for warmth - and then wear a see-through plastic or rubberized poncho for wind and water protection.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

The vinyl coated cotton fabric is very soft , flexible and not cold. I line most of my totes with it. I love to use it to make zipper bags too. It sews like cotton fabric too.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The vinyl coated cotton fabric is very soft , flexible and not cold. I line most of my totes with it. I love to use it to make zipper bags too. It sews like cotton fabric too.
How does it tolerate washing/laundering?