Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Doodling & Muscle Memory Question >

FMQ Doodling & Muscle Memory Question

FMQ Doodling & Muscle Memory Question

Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 AM

Default FMQ Doodling & Muscle Memory Question

When practicing a FMQ design, do you always doodle to scale? I'm wondering if I could gain muscle memory from doodling a smaller version of the design. I could get in more practice with a smaller doodle, if it would be beneficial!!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

interesting, will watch for the experience of others
Old 07-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I doodle on paper to figure out my quilting design and then stitch it out.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM

I always doodle much smaller than what I am actually going to quilt. Doodling is more than muscle memory it is getting comfortable with transitioning from tight spaces or different designs. Doodling is very helpful.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM

I agree with Peggy. It really helps solidify the pattern for me and work out problems with it and transitions as Peggy mentioned. Sometimes, I'll draft it to scale if I'm trying to get a better feel for how it'll fit and look in a specific area, and/or draw it on a clear sheet of plastic that I've laid out over the quilt top piecing, using a wet erase or dry erase marker.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM

For years and years and years, well before I became a quilter, I would doodle what I now know as a "meander" pattern, and also a lot of swirls.

When I started FMQ, both of those patterns have come to me very "naturally". I can meander and/or swirl all day long, any size and it comes out nice and consistent and I rarely back myself into a corner. But something like feathers...I'm terrible at those. Jerky, lopsided, uneven...I still need a LOT of practice on those.

So I think doodling is VITAL to good FMQ skills, and I really don't think the scale matters. I think the figuring out how to get from point A to point B to point C without getting stuck, and getting your hands and mind used to the various shapes, is what is the most helpful about the doodling.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I can see the point of doodling and have done it some. But, just speaking for myself, since I FMQ on a domestic machine and move the fabric, sometimes I have trouble transferring doodling by moving the pen to moving the quilt under the needle. Different to me.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Doodling doesn't seem to help me much; I assume it's because when I quilt, I'm moving the fabric under the needle, rather than the needle over the fabric.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM

I doodle in a small sketchbook And I also use my machine to doodle for relaxation. I use cheap craft felt for my sandwiches. I buy packages of the 9"x12" size and put two pieces together then just doodle away. It is a good way to loosen up-- and it's very relaxing to just sit down at the machine and start Fmq without a preconceived idea + it's great training for those times when you've got an odd space on a quilt that needs to be quilted. The nice thing about the felt is you don't have to take the time to cut fabric and batting and baste a sandwich. I just put a pin in each of the corners to hold the two pieces together.

Rob
Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I would give doodling a try. It has helped me a lot when trying new designs, and even when I haven't used one in awhile. Just see if it works for you. I was reluctant because I just wanted to do the quilting but it has helped me.