Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Roll-call... bottle or breast >

Roll-call... bottle or breast

Roll-call... bottle or breast

Old 07-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
i used glass bottles had to go back to work after 6 weeks sterilize bottles, formula was boiled?? gosh i don't remember but i know it wasn't instant like today where you just add water or do they even do that, i cooked and pureed his food only thing baby food he ate was cereals and applesauce cloth diapers and bibs.............gosh that was 48 yrs.......my one and only
I remember supplementing homemade baby food with cereals, too, but not all the time. Used cloth diapers, too.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
well in the hospital i breast fed my son. at home too for six weeks. Bottles after that, plastic if I remember right.
Bibs if I had them were probably plastic.
Plastic bottles were so carefree, and as a mom I never worried over breakage, one of my worst fears with glass.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I breast feed both of my babies until about 8 weeks. I would have gone longer but at that time they wanted a full 9 oz. every 4 hours and I just couldn't produce that much.
I wouldn't have been able to keep up either.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Which method of feeding did you rely on when raising your family? we tried breast, but after 5 days, Ryan couldn't latch on so I went to the bottle, reluctantly

- Any particular reason as to why you chose one over the other? My son couldn'tm latch on. La letche League made me feel about it.

- Did anyone make their own homemade formula and baby food? homemade baby food in a mill. what ever we had for dinner, so did Ryan

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottles?glass first, then plastic

- Did anyone opt for the smaller 4 oz bottles at the start? used 4 oz bottles, but only filled 1-2 ozs at a time. He never took more and fell asleep in the middle of it.

- As an added question, did you use cloth or vinyl bibs at feeding time? I made all of my bib myself, so all cotton.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Which method of feeding did you rely on when raising your family?
I'm raising my family now, (expecting #2 in a month!) and I am big on breastfeeding. I was actually hoping to tandem nurse, as my eldest will only be 17 mon. old by the time the new Baby is born. But by 8 weeks into pregnancy, nursing was causing contractions, so my midwife told me to stop cold turkey. My daughter was already eating some solids, but I cried all day the first day of weaning!

- Any particular reason as to why you chose one over the other?
I believe it is better for both mother and baby, and it is free! A huge bonus! I am a follower of the LaLeLeague ideas, so I could give a list why I think it's better, but I won't

- Did anyone make their own homemade formula and baby food?
My daughter didn't like my cooking at first, so store bought organic baby food it was for the first few meals.
- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottles?
I used glass bottles for any expressed milk I had. I always had plenty of milk!

- Did anyone opt for the smaller 4 oz bottles at the start?
Yes.

- As an added question, did you use cloth or vinyl bibs at feeding time?
I use both. Whatever is closest!

Thanks for this thread! I would love to also know how many women had midwives and unmedicated births? I'm due next month, so babies and births are on my mind This is my second birth through the local birthing center and I'm so grateful to God for my midwives and their care.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Breast for all 4 babies. I had a good supply of milk (sometimes too good, but that's another topic). Nursed the first till he was 8 months, then found out I was 4 months pregnant with baby 2 (again, that's another topic. LOL) Abruptly weaned baby 1, and he went straight to cup by his choice. Nursed baby 2 till she was 18 months , I think. Baby 3 nursed till was 2, and baby 4 till he was 3. (I know, I'm ridiculous. But I had waited 10 years to be able to have him, and I was gonna enjoy the time all I could (or should I say ,"milk it for all it was worth"? LOL) Of course he was also drinking from a cup during the day and only nursing at bedtime, but still, I shake my head. I had the mindset that I'd wean him like Hannah weaned Samuel--on his third birthday, and I did.

See above.

No. I had 3 babies in 4 years. I was up to my elbows in baby mess of every kind and didn't have time to make food. If it didn't come from my boobs, it came from a jar until they could handle Cheerios and soft fruit.

Plastic

I probably did if they were shower gifts, but only for water in the early days if it was hot-hot and the babies weren't hungry-hungry. Seems they all graduated quickly to more than 4 oz of diluted juice once they started drinking from a bottle. So the 4 oz bottle wasn't worth buying.

For the tiny infants, cloth, because they had no neck and they needed breathable material. Once their necks became noticeable, I could put the easy-clean vinyl (snap-on or velcro kind only) bibs on them.
Nothing at all ridiculous about breastfeeding till age 3. I had one still running around in diapers at age 4! And I'm not talking Pampers! As for bibs, I loved the easy-clean side of vinyl, too!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Which method of feeding did you rely on when raising your family? we tried breast, but after 5 days, Ryan couldn't latch on so I went to the bottle, reluctantly

- Any particular reason as to why you chose one over the other? My son couldn'tm latch on. La letche League made me feel about it.

- Did anyone make their own homemade formula and baby food? homemade baby food in a mill. what ever we had for dinner, so did Ryan

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottles?glass first, then plastic

- Did anyone opt for the smaller 4 oz bottles at the start? used 4 oz bottles, but only filled 1-2 ozs at a time. He never took more and fell asleep in the middle of it.

- As an added question, did you use cloth or vinyl bibs at feeding time? I made all of my bib myself, so all cotton.
Your son reminds me of a nephew of mine. My SIL went through the same. Extra small feedings for the longest time. Kudos to you on the homemade bibs!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

- Which method of feeding did you rely on when raising your family? First baby- they gave me a shot to dry up my milk Very unhappy about that, breast fed my other two kids.
- Any particular reason as to why you chose one over the other? I loved breast-feeding. Wish I could have done so with my oldest. I found it very rewarding.

- Did anyone make their own homemade formula and baby food? I don't remember, probably not.

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottles? Glass

- Did anyone opt for the smaller 4 oz bottles at the start? Not that I recall

- As an added question, did you use cloth or vinyl bibs at feeding time? Both, I remember vinyl and I also made cute ones with appliques
Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
- Which method of feeding did you rely on when raising your family? First baby- they gave me a shot to dry up my milk Very unhappy about that, breast fed my other two kids.
- Any particular reason as to why you chose one over the other? I loved breast-feeding. Wish I could have done so with my oldest. I found it very rewarding.

- Did anyone make their own homemade formula and baby food? I don't remember, probably not.

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottles? Glass

- Did anyone opt for the smaller 4 oz bottles at the start? Not that I recall

- As an added question, did you use cloth or vinyl bibs at feeding time? Both, I remember vinyl and I also made cute ones with appliques
They gave you a shot to dry up your milk? How sad!! I agree with you, I personally found breastfeeding to be so rewarding. I was able to bond with my daughter in a way I could never have dreamed of.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I'm raising my family now, (expecting #2 in a month!) and I am big on breastfeeding. I was actually hoping to tandem nurse, as my eldest will only be 17 mon. old by the time the new Baby is born. But by 8 weeks into pregnancy, nursing was causing contractions, so my midwife told me to stop cold turkey. My daughter was already eating some solids, but I cried all day the first day of weaning!

I believe it is better for both mother and baby, and it is free! A huge bonus! I am a follower of the LaLeLeague ideas, so I could give a list why I think it's better, but I won't

My daughter didn't like my cooking at first, so store bought organic baby food it was for the first few meals.
I used glass bottles for any expressed milk I had. I always had plenty of milk!

Yes.

I use both. Whatever is closest!

Thanks for this thread! I would love to also know how many women had midwives and unmedicated births? I'm due next month, so babies and births are on my mind This is my second birth through the local birthing center and I'm so grateful to God for my midwives and their care.
No midwife here, just my mom and MIL when a new baby was born, which was a huge help for me, especially when it was baby #3 and #4. Having an extra set of hands to feed, bathe, and change diapers helped me get the rest I needed after9 months of carrying.

As for medication, I had an epidural for all of my children (two caesareans).

What kind of diapers are you using, NZQuilter?