Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 139

Thread: Roll-call... cloth diapers

  1. #1
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382

    Roll-call... cloth diapers

    ... I was having a laugh with Lawsonmugs and Lynnie, in one of the game threads, as to telling on ourselves as to our age, thanks to mentioning older and dated things we used in the past.

    So, how about it, did you use cloth diapers?

    I did for all 4 of my children, and that was back in day of safety pins!

  2. #2
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    23,188
    Blog Entries
    1
    I remember real safety pins. after they were on, you had to slid the top up and down to open. does anyone remember those safety pins? they were so a toddler couldn't open them. Yup, and toddlers couldn't get them off if put on properly. now all they need to do is rip the tape off. back then, you had to be a contortionist to get them off.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

  3. #3
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13,403
    Yes... three in cloth diapers. There were Pampers and Huggies then, but they were expensive and the gel stuff in them gave my kids horrible rashes. LOVE cloth diapering!

    That was in the late 80s....
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #4
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Lynnie. You describe the exact pins I used. Locking cap pins. I laugh whenever I think back to the Dr. Spock Baby Book I had, and how it mentioned checking for an open safety pin if baby is crying. In all the years I babysat and was diapering my children, not once did I ever encounter a safety pin that had accidentally popped open.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Yes... three in cloth diapers. There were Pampers and Huggies then, but they were expensive and the gel stuff in them gave my kids horrible rashes. LOVE cloth diapering!

    That was in the late 80s....
    And here I thought I was the only mother who was still using cloth diapers in the 80's! I was still changing cloth diapers on my youngest in 1988/89.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Yes... three in cloth diapers. There were Pampers and Huggies then, but they were expensive and the gel stuff in them gave my kids horrible rashes. LOVE cloth diapering!

    That was in the late 80s....
    My goodness, three in cloth diapers. I had two and that was enough for me. Even then I remember changing diapers in the middle of the night and trying to put the wrong size rubber pants on the kid!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Yes... three in cloth diapers. There were Pampers and Huggies then, but they were expensive and the gel stuff in them gave my kids horrible rashes. LOVE cloth diapering!

    That was in the late 80s....
    Triplets? Twins with another born right afterwards? Or three close together?

  8. #8
    Super Member osewme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,886
    Cloth diapers for my DD in the 60's and they were not the "pre-folded" ones.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Cloth diapers for my DD in the 60's and they were not the "pre-folded" ones.
    Same in our house, plain old sheet style fold-up ones.

  10. #10
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,582
    My oldest is turning 50 this year so yes, I used cloth diapers and washed them in a portable sears washer I hooked up to the kitchen sink and had a maytag "porta dryer" that didn't need venting for the times I couldn't hang them outside on the line, which I much preferred and did most of the time except when we had a stretch of bad weather. Didn't have access to a basement to hang them in the apartment we were living in. I remember the pins and I kept them in a bar of soap to make them easier to go on. And the rubber pants. By the time the second one was an infant there were the early Pampers, that we needed pins for and of course everything seeped out. I only used them on a rare occasion since we were poor and they were expensive. I had the kind that were rectangle and I folded them to fit the baby, first a lot of times and then less times and then when they got older double diapered them. Ah yes, the good old days.
    Alyce

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,765
    Two in cloth diapers in early 80's. One new one and one getting out of diapers, luckily. Disposables gave mine rashes too. Rubbed the side of the pin across my scalp if it would not easily go thru. lol Ahhh, the good ol' days!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Faintly Artistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Maricopa, AZ
    Posts
    535
    Used the cloth diapers in the 90's for one of mine.

  13. #13
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,072
    Blog Entries
    2
    I did mainly because my husband's employer and workers gave us a diaper service. lovely!!! We kept it up after that ran out.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,096
    Cloth diapers for all three of mine - 1976-1984. Did get to test Huggies, and some Pampers, with the 1st and 3rd. Had to return the USED disposable diapers in a plastic garbage bag at the end of the week, and fill in a chart indicating where the diaper leaked. Glad I wasn't the employee who had to sort through the used diapers!

    Disposable diapers are much improved since 1976!

    I preferred the unfolded diapers. I could fold them to best fit the baby, it was easier to get out stains, and they dried much faster. There were many times we didn't have time to fold the diapers after they were laundered, and folded from the laundry basket as we used them.

    I also remember rubber pants - I thought they were the worst part of cloth diapering. And the safety pins with the click top. I did have a crying baby when I was babysitting once, and it was an open diaper pin. (And NOT a diaper pin I put in)

  15. #15
    Super Member JenniePenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,524
    There was a stretch of about 6 months that I used cloth diapers on my child in 1995. There were all manner of disposable diapers available. I was in a situation that I really needed to count pennies and save money. To my delight, I was not ostracized because the battle cry of the time anyway was "go green" and the notion of Earth Day was just getting started. Even the well-off mommies were hiring diaper services.
    I was glad, however, to go back to disposable diapers when my finances improved.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    104
    I used them on my now 15 yo. I made a bunch of my own of hemp fleece and adorable all in one diapers with cute trim. I used them some on my now 12 yo, but we moved when she was a few months old and life was crazy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    My oldest is turning 50 this year so yes, I used cloth diapers and washed them in a portable sears washer I hooked up to the kitchen sink and had a maytag "porta dryer" that didn't need venting for the times I couldn't hang them outside on the line, which I much preferred and did most of the time except when we had a stretch of bad weather. Didn't have access to a basement to hang them in the apartment we were living in. I remember the pins and I kept them in a bar of soap to make them easier to go on. And the rubber pants. By the time the second one was an infant there were the early Pampers, that we needed pins for and of course everything seeped out. I only used them on a rare occasion since we were poor and they were expensive. I had the kind that were rectangle and I folded them to fit the baby, first a lot of times and then less times and then when they got older double diapered them. Ah yes, the good old days.
    I always line-dried when I could, too, and I remember double, even triple diapering when needed.

  18. #18
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,686
    I preferred the rectangle Curity gauze diapers that had to be folded - and have been trying to find them - or a close copy - for years.

    They make awesome dish towels.

    Used them on kids born in 1961, 1962, 1964, and 1966.

    I think "disposable" ones were just starting to come out then.

    I used the plastic "rubber" pants on the kids.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Two in cloth diapers in early 80's. One new one and one getting out of diapers, luckily. Disposables gave mine rashes too. Rubbed the side of the pin across my scalp if it would not easily go thru. lol Ahhh, the good ol' days!
    LOL! I incorporated the pin through my hair trick, too! Thick nighttime double diapers always required sharp or lubricated pins.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
    Used the cloth diapers in the 90's for one of mine.
    I remember a neighbour of ours used cloth diapers around the mid 90's, but the ones she used were shaped with elastic gathers around the legs, and they didn't need pins.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I did mainly because my husband's employer and workers gave us a diaper service. lovely!!! We kept it up after that ran out.
    What a thoughtful gift. So helpful for a worn-out mom.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
    Cloth diapers for all three of mine - 1976-1984. Did get to test Huggies, and some Pampers, with the 1st and 3rd. Had to return the USED disposable diapers in a plastic garbage bag at the end of the week, and fill in a chart indicating where the diaper leaked. Glad I wasn't the employee who had to sort through the used diapers!

    Disposable diapers are much improved since 1976!

    I preferred the unfolded diapers. I could fold them to best fit the baby, it was easier to get out stains, and they dried much faster. There were many times we didn't have time to fold the diapers after they were laundered, and folded from the laundry basket as we used them.

    I also remember rubber pants - I thought they were the worst part of cloth diapering. And the safety pins with the click top. I did have a crying baby when I was babysitting once, and it was an open diaper pin. (And NOT a diaper pin I put in)
    Goodness me, I wouldn't have wanted that job either! I share the same sentiment as you do regarding folding (proper fit), and I recall on hot days, how I could hang a load of diapers on the line, and it seemed no sooner I had the last diaper tacked to the line, it was time to take them down.

    I didn't mind using rubber pants, but when a diaper leaked out the legs and into the pants, you were left with no choice other than to pull those soiled rubber pants down baby's legs, dragging the mess all the way down with them.

    I remember my mom using regular, ordinary safety pins for a short time with my baby sister (early 60's), have no idea why, but when the next sibling came along (my baby brother), I was old enough to start changing him, and I remember using proper diaper pins on his diapers. As for babysitting outside of the home, proper diaper pins were always used.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    There was a stretch of about 6 months that I used cloth diapers on my child in 1995. There were all manner of disposable diapers available. I was in a situation that I really needed to count pennies and save money. To my delight, I was not ostracized because the battle cry of the time anyway was "go green" and the notion of Earth Day was just getting started. Even the well-off mommies were hiring diaper services.
    I was glad, however, to go back to disposable diapers when my finances improved.
    The cloth diapers that you used, were they still the old-fashioned ones with pins?

  24. #24
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    I used them on my now 15 yo. I made a bunch of my own of hemp fleece and adorable all in one diapers with cute trim. I used them some on my now 12 yo, but we moved when she was a few months old and life was crazy.
    I'm proud of you! I think more mothers today should be using cloth diapers.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Endora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I preferred the rectangle Curity gauze diapers that had to be folded - and have been trying to find them - or a close copy - for years.

    They make awesome dish towels.

    Used them on kids born in 1961, 1962, 1964, and 1966.

    I think "disposable" ones were just starting to come out then.

    I used the plastic "rubber" pants on the kids.
    And yet another mother who had more than one in cloth diapers. Definitely had a way of keeping a mother busy. I do remember...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.