Roll-call... cloth diapers

Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Gaah, yes, the nose burn. Our pail was outdoors, just outside the back door - we had no washing machine and since Mom was in such poor health (nearly died from complications during a cesarean), the pail often went a week or more before it was hauled off to the laudromat (usually by grandma). Diapers were rinsed before they went into the pail, but it still stank worse than anything.

The little boy next door was my playmate, he and I used to dare each other to open the diaper pail and let the "stink monster" out, and then we'd run away screaming. Kids can make a game out of anything!
I remember one babysitting I had where the mother kept the diaper pail in her back porch. Whenever I'd change one of her kids, I'd have to walk the wet and dirty diapers all the way through the house to get there. No the best setup.

My youngest deposited an entire stack of freshly laundered and folded diapers into his diaper pail one day... I gather trying to help mommy. It was all I could do not to turn him over my knee.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Nine over the years in cloth. My daughter uses cloth for her children. It is the only way to go with a larger family.
Now that's a lot of diapers! I agree, when it comes to large families or more than one child in diapers, nothing beat good ol' cotton rectangles and rubber pants!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
The little boy next door was my playmate, he and I used to dare each other to open the diaper pail and let the "stink monster" out, and then we'd run away screaming. Kids can make a game out of anything!
ROFL! Rubber pants (I remember) were real stink monsters, too!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 AM

For the over 60 crowd, do you remember perforated rubber pants? The ones that had tiny little air holes in them?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
For the over 60 crowd, do you remember perforated rubber pants? The ones that had tiny little air holes in them?
oh yes they are what my youngest brother wore. He was born in 1952
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
oh yes they are what my youngest brother wore. He was born in 1952
I was trying to think of when they quit making them, but I definitely remember an aunt using them in the later part of the 60's.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Did not have perforated pants. However I did find some rubber pants that snapped on both sides, those were nice to have !
Old 07-23-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by annievee View Post
Did not have perforated pants. However I did find some rubber pants that snapped on both sides, those were nice to have !
I remember those, too. Had a few pair around when my older kids were at the diaper stage, but seldom used them. I preferred the pull-on ones, though when someone messed real bad, the pants with snaps eliminated dragging the mess down baby's legs.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Oh, yes. Had a diaper service for the first son, then added a second 16 months later, but had moved to an area where diaper service was not available so for a short period both were in diapers!
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by kaylfordsollimo View Post
Oh, yes. Had a diaper service for the first son, then added a second 16 months later, but had moved to an area where diaper service was not available so for a short period both were in diapers!
Two in diapers sure added to the laundry. With my first, I had just enough clothespins to hang her diapers on the line, but when her baby brother came along and I suddenly found myself with two in didies, I no longer had enough pins to accommodate two sets of diapers, and most of the time I double diapered, so two diapers were used for every single baby change.

Did everyone hold the safety pins in their mouth when changing diapers?