Roll-call... cloth diapers

Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yes... three in cloth diapers. There were Pampers and Huggies then, but they were expensive and the gel stuff in them gave my kids horrible rashes. LOVE cloth diapering!

That was in the late 80s....
sounds like me, I had a two year old then had twins. I did not potty train the older one because did not want him to revert back. All got rashes from Pampers and Huggies. We used diaper service with the twins, because of the cost. The 1st 100 diapers were $12 and a penny apiece for any additional diapers. Pampers were 13 cents apiece. Diaper Sweet and Dreft were my savers. When I called to cancel the diaper service after two years, they asked my why? I told them I had potty trained twins and did not have a need any more. They said "in that case congratulations". Pins never bothered me the stinky rubber pants did. (Early 80s)
Old 08-08-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
ok... I had my babies in the late 70's and early 80's. I used cloth diapers - Curity Gauze if I remember correctly. I folded them in thirds and then folded as big of a flap as i needed to (to the front for my boy and the back for my girl) to fit. Then pinned them shut with sliding head diaper pins. Used rubber pants (they were likely plastic) too.

Disposable diapers were not widely available. I remember Baby Scotts and Luvs. Maybe Pampers were around too. They weren't too absorbent, they didn't wick like they do now and they didn't hold the breast-fed mustard poops in... so I LIKED cloth better.

I didn't like rinsing out diapers in the toilet, and stinky diaper pails, and hauling heavy wet diapers down two flights of stairs to the laundry, but that is what it took!!!
I remember folding down the front or back of the diaper, too, when diapering. Worked almost as well as a full-fledged double diaper. My oldest was born in 1978, and really, disposables hadn't at all taken hold... everyone used cloth diapers at that time, and even up until the mid 80's, disposables still hadn't really taken hold, at least not in our area they hadn't. Diapers, pins, and rubber pants, was still the standard go-to method of choice for most, but by the time I was nearing the end days of diapering my youngest (late 80's), disposables were hot on the heels of cloth diapers, and I do remember a few that used them.

I remember Baby Scotts. They had the funky gingham rubber pants that snapped-up the sides. No pins needed. Oh I feel so old.

Yes, toilet rinsing diapers, I hated that part, too, and lugging the big heavy (and awkward) diaper pail down the basement stairs, then back up again, twice, sometimes three times per week, I totally remember that, and then there was the never-ending duty of pinning diapers up on the line, then taking them down again... folding, stacking, and then... well, we all know what came next.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by giquilt View Post
sounds like me, I had a two year old then had twins. I did not potty train the older one because did not want him to revert back. All got rashes from Pampers and Huggies. We used diaper service with the twins, because of the cost. The 1st 100 diapers were $12 and a penny apiece for any additional diapers. Pampers were 13 cents apiece. Diaper Sweet and Dreft were my savers. When I called to cancel the diaper service after two years, they asked my why? I told them I had potty trained twins and did not have a need any more. They said "in that case congratulations". Pins never bothered me the stinky rubber pants did. (Early 80s)
I remember how terrible Pampers (and other brands) fit in the 70's. They were some awful in the beginning, and yes, I do remember how stinky rubber pants could get. A little Pin-Sol when laundering the rubber pants went a long ways in helping getting the stink out, as did a dash of baby powder inside before putting them on.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM

I have to admit, I'm considering cloth diaper myself. With Baby number two on the way and my eldest being only 17 months, I don't know how I'm going to like paying (or justifying) the cost of two. My DH wants to spare me the work of cloth diapers, which is sweet of him. I'm nervous about the toilet spraying part... Many moms in my small town use cloth diapers, so at least I wouldn't feel like an alian hanging cloth diaper out on the clothes line!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I have to admit, I'm considering cloth diaper myself. With Baby number two on the way and my eldest being only 17 months, I don't know how I'm going to like paying (or justifying) the cost of two. My DH wants to spare me the work of cloth diapers, which is sweet of him. I'm nervous about the toilet spraying part... Many moms in my small town use cloth diapers, so at least I wouldn't feel like an alian hanging cloth diaper out on the clothes line!
Being an old-school cloth diaperer, I don't have any advice for you related to today's modern cloth diapers, but one word of advice, keep it simple.

Honestly, I think the old-fashioned two-piece cloth diaper method is still the best, you know, the method where both diaper and pull-on waterproof pants are used. Even if you were to go with pre-folds instead of the fold-up flats, pre-folds would wash-up more efficiently and dry much faster than modern thick and bulky cloth diapers, and pre-folds are a fraction of the price of that of modern cloth diapers.

With pre-folds, I wouldn't even consider doing the toilet spray thing. Just dunk up and down in the toilet a few times, wring, and toss into a plastic pail until wash day, and dry on an outdoor line when you can. Even pins are no biggie once you do it a few times. I was changing baby siblings cloth diapers (with pins) at age 8, and if I could do it back then, you absolutely, positively could do it.

With your situation, you'd save a bundle, you really would. Two kids in diapers equates to a huge expense when using disposables, but with cloth all you'd be looking at would be laundry costs, which add up to nothing more than a few pennies per load. Astronomical savings... savings you could apply towards so many other things.

If I were a mom today, I'd go back to the old-fashioned standby's I used on my kids when they were babies, complete with safety pins and diaper pail. The whole nine yards. Rubber pants, too.

Last edited by Endora; 08-09-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Thanks, Endora! You are very encouraging. I do think it is the best way to go as I know the savings will be a ton each month for sure. I'm not worried about the laundry, as I already do at least one load everyday. There is a local mom here in town who makes and sells cover pants with snaps, and I have some prefolded cloth diapers already. I used them as burp rags
Old 08-10-2017, 05:16 AM

Thanks, Endora! You are very encouraging. I do think it is the best way to go as I know the savings will be a ton each month for sure. I'm not worried about the laundry, as I already do at least one load everyday. There is a local mom here in town who makes and sells cover pants with snaps, and I have some prefolded cloth diapers already. I used them as burp rags
Thank you. Make sure the diaper pants are 100% waterproof. Leaky diapers at the start will turn you off using cloth. Also, I always liked using the old-fashioned pull-on style diaper pants. They were the quickest and easiest to use, so definitely consider buying some of those, too.

Yes, the savings will be exponential. Just think of all the other great things you'll be able to do with the savings!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
Yes, the savings will be exponential. Just think of all the other great things you'll be able to do with the savings!
Yes, like quilting stuff! No, more like a deposit on a house one day
Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 AM

Yes, like quilting stuff! No, more like a deposit on a house one day
I really like the sounds of saving a down-payment for a house! I'm in your corner rooting for you! Do post a follow-up if and when you take the plunge and start using cloth diapers.