Roll-call... cloth diapers

Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 AM

I must have been nuts (I wasn't) but I had 3 children in 2 years so I had 3 children in diapers for about 6 months, then it was only two. Oldest son born Jan. 1967, second son born Dec. 1967 (yes, same year!) and then daughter born in April 1969. Oldest son was potty trained sometime that summer when he was 2 years old. We had a washer but no dryer so I hung cloth diapers in our basement to dry every night. I can remember folding and folding them. Had to wash the plastic pants out by hand or they would dry and crack. A whole new life back then.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
All 5 of my children were born in the 70's. I used cloth diapers for all of them. Made a few diapers. Also had diaper service after the first one and used it for the rest of them. Loved it.
I never took the path of a diaper service, but I like to think I'd at least give a try (just to say I did) if I were a new mom today.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
and when they were fully trained, those cloth diapers made wonderful dusters!!!!!!!!!!
Did they ever. Dusters, polishers, general purpose kitchen cloths for drying and handling cleanups. There's just no beating them.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I must have been nuts (I wasn't) but I had 3 children in 2 years so I had 3 children in diapers for about 6 months, then it was only two. Oldest son born Jan. 1967, second son born Dec. 1967 (yes, same year!) and then daughter born in April 1969. Oldest son was potty trained sometime that summer when he was 2 years old. We had a washer but no dryer so I hung cloth diapers in our basement to dry every night. I can remember folding and folding them. Had to wash the plastic pants out by hand or they would dry and crack. A whole new life back then.
You were busy! LOL! laundering rubber pants in the washing machine was so hard on them. The old top-loading agitator washing machines used to rip and tear rubber pants badly, so I always hand-washed them, too, then hung them to dry, either outside on the line, or inside on the wooden drying rack.

LOL, about the folding. Ideally, when I was on top of everything, I'd have a stack of daytime folded diapers on one side of the baby's dresser, and a stack of nighttime double folds on the other... and I also remember raiding laundry baskets for clean diapers (at change-time) when I was behind on the folding. Those were the days...
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Anyone else remember hanging clothes on wooden drying racks in the winter time?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Anyone else remember hanging clothes on wooden drying racks in the winter time?
Sure do. I use one to this day and love it. Damp tea towels grace mine most of the time, but throughout the winter months I dry unmentionables on mine to preserve the elastics. I've owned a wooden drying rack for a good 28 years.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Yes to cloth diapers. I do remember those pins Lynnie although never used them. Could and still can't understand how people can afford the costly disposable diapers. To me they were ok on trips or camping but not everyday use. I couldn't use them much; my daughter broke out wearing them!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM

I Never had a diaper bucket; dunked the dirty ones in the commode til all came off and all got rinsed out in the sink and hung to dry; then into the wash on wash day; hung out on the line; even those with leftover 'dirty' stains came out white in the sunshine. Good ole days.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-25-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 07-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Pediatricians now say early potty training is not that good, especially for boys. Early potty training tends to lead to bed wetting for boys. I think it depends on the child when they want to. Both of mine were 3 when fully trained. My grandsons were 3 and 3 1/2. They do learn to potty on their own when shown how and why. I know daycares had to change their rule that a child had to be potty trained before age 3.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM

I was one of those Moms who used cloth diapers to be "green" on my 3 back in the 90s. But I used a diaper service so I didn't have to wash them. Don't think I would have done it if I had to wash them myself!