Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please help...my "new" 1949 221 won't sew? >

Please help...my "new" 1949 221 won't sew?

Please help...my "new" 1949 221 won't sew?

Old 07-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Default Please help...my "new" 1949 221 won't sew?

Hello all.. I won this sweet machine from my guild and a friend who has sown with hers a LOT came today to show me how to clean, oil, thread, etc....It runs beautifully IF there is no thread or material to sew... But when I put thread and material in it, it won't go... We've tried all the tips we know (thank you Google!)... HELP????
Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 AM

OK baby steps. without fabric, will the needle thread grab the bobbin thread?

Do the feed dogs move up and back and forth?
Define, "won't go" Does the motor run? Needle move?

Will it stitch if you spin the wheel by hand? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

This would be my check list: is the belt worn and not tight enough to work...are the feed dogs moving when it sews....is the little silver nob in the center of the hand wheel tightened ( if it is disengaged for bobbin filling, the needle won't go up and down ) thread the machine and check the tension disc to see if it is too tight if too loose....is the needle in properly as in flat side to the outside of the machine and are you threading the needle from the inside of machine to outside...are you using the little single hole foot it comes with (mine will not sew with the 1/4 inch foot )
Old 07-28-2017, 03:13 PM

Oh dear friends, I clearly did not give enough information!! (sorry!!) Well, it runs beautifully IF there is no thread and no material involved. As soon as it is threaded the wheel just does not want to turn? The motor is running but with thread and/or material, no go... My friends and I took it to our local Singer expert and he, too, is baffled. I must tell you that he is "fixin' to retire" at 98!! Yes! He still goes to his shop every day! He's "workin' on it"... wish him luck!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:24 PM

The old sewing machine guy will solve it. Does it stitch through the fabric when not threaded? I'm thinking something might hinder the needle punch power, which usually is cleaning, oiling, and wiping off the motor belt and groove in motor pulley and hand wheel. The Featherweight is known to mishave if there's thread caught under the base, and it's a bit cumbersome to check and clean it out thoroughly. This is a good tutorial on it.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
The old sewing machine guy will solve it. Does it stitch through the fabric when not threaded? I'm thinking something might hinder the needle punch power, which usually is cleaning, oiling, and wiping off the motor belt and groove in motor pulley and hand wheel. The Featherweight is known to mishave if there's thread caught under the base, and it's a bit cumbersome to check and clean it out thoroughly. This is a good tutorial on it.
Mickey2...that is how it is behaving! I've watched that tutorial and several others, too! Thank you!! I was so excited to finally get to know my machine...patience !!! sigh!!! Thank you for responding! I have confidence in my friend. He's about ready to "retire" but it will be a sad day for us!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:52 PM

Default There is a lady in Huntsville, Texas who is the local "go to" person on Featherweight

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
Hello all.. I won this sweet machine from my guild and a friend who has sown with hers a LOT came today to show me how to clean, oil, thread, etc....It runs beautifully IF there is no thread or material to sew... But when I put thread and material in it, it won't go... We've tried all the tips we know (thank you Google!)... HELP????
sewing machines. Her name is Nova Montgomery she has a website on facebook. She teaches how to clean and maintain your machine and is a great resourcs for parts. Look her up and contact her and she may be able to give you some guidance. Lovely lady... My black featherweight did not survive the flood in May of last year. We had thirty inches of water at our back fence. We got nothing in the house proper, but the pump house went down, and our barn had 9 inches and our garage had 4 inches of brazos river clay...The house missed by less than 1 inch of coming in.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM

Nona...thank you so much!! I haven't been able to check on my machine yet...tomorrow is the day I'll be able to. I'll be looking up Ms. Montgomery and her website. Thank you!! And I'm so sorry about the floor... so terrible.
Janice

Originally Posted by Nona View Post
sewing machines. Her name is Nova Montgomery she has a website on facebook. She teaches how to clean and maintain your machine and is a great resourcs for parts. Look her up and contact her and she may be able to give you some guidance. Lovely lady... My black featherweight did not survive the flood in May of last year. We had thirty inches of water at our back fence. We got nothing in the house proper, but the pump house went down, and our barn had 9 inches and our garage had 4 inches of brazos river clay...The house missed by less than 1 inch of coming in.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nona View Post
Her name is Nova Montgomery she has a website on facebook. She teaches how to clean and maintain your machine and is a great resourcs for parts. Look her up and contact her and she may be able to give you some guidance. Lovely lady...
Thanks for posting that. I knew of her, I didn't realize she was in Huntsville.

Aren't you blessed that it didn't get in your house? Lots of losses, I'm sure, though.

bkay
Dallas