Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Pieced Hexi question >

Paper Pieced Hexi question

Paper Pieced Hexi question

Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Paper Pieced Hexi question

I am starting to learn paper piecing, starting with smaller 1.5" finished hexi's.

I have gone through my papers, and traced and cut more papers to do more hexi's, but my question is:
Can I iron the hexi's and then remove the papers to use to make more hexi's without sewing the hexi's together first?

Will taking the papers out, and then storing them before sewing together, cause issues?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM

I don't think they will hold their shape if you remove the papers before stitching them together. Traditionally, you remove the papers once the fabric is totally surrounded by other hexies. Keep in mind you are only tacking the corners to form the hexi shape so it needs sewing to create a solid line. But it never hurts to give it a try. See how it goes.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

i wouldn't remove the papers until each hexie is connected completely around it with other hexies
Old 07-31-2017, 10:45 AM

Like others have said you don't remove papers until that piece is completely surrounded. Not only does the paper help to keep the shape, but it makes doing the whip stitch easier to keep small and nearly invisible from the front.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Is there a reason you want to remove the papers before sewing the hexies? Hex papers are inexpensive and actually free if you cut your own from throw away paper. Check out the Fiskar hex punches. You can punch out perfect hexie papers. I use the punch with cardstock.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 AM

I have used liquid starch and a small paint brush to make my creases very sharp, then took the papers out to reuse. When I do this, I used double or triple layer freezer paper that I sandwich before drawing or punching the hexes out. Press to fabric shiny side down, baste edges, starch press, then remove the papers when cool. Store carefully until ready to stitch together.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 PM

I have done a small 1" flag, mainly in the car over a few years. I am glad I left my papers in because you never know when you have to lay it down and how long it will be before you pick it up again. I will have to find that quilt and get a pic to put it on here. I enjoy it.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:26 AM

I agree with other responses indicating the papers should be left in until the heck is completely surrounded by other hexis. I also second the suggestion about the Fiskars hexi punch. It makes the cutting process easy!

I am working on a hand sewn hexi American flag quilt now. It will have @3000 1" finished hexis when I am done (I have @1000 sewn together so far) and I am amazed at how much the hexis keep their shape and how flat it lays. I think it is largely because of the above.

I get flyers made out of thicker paper in the mail daily advertising sales, politics, etc., (e.g., Joanna fabrics/Michaels crafts) that I use for my hexi paper. They work great and are free!
Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 AM

I too do not remove my paper until the hexie I am working on is completely surrounded by other hexies with papers. They just aren't stable enough to get the finished look that you want to have when EPP. Years and years ago, some never did remove the papers. In my guild, we have seen antique quilts that still have all the paper in them.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 AM

I would definitely not remove the papers before sewing. The papers make the sewing and handling much easier.

I agree with the people that recommended the Fiskar's punch. The extra large one is 1", which is smaller than you want, but still very manageable, and you will save hours and hours of boredom and frustration with it.

I hand cut diamonds for my first EPP project, and cutting was thhe most time-consuming, least fun part of the process. I now use punches for hexagons, and buy all other shapes. This gives me lots more time for the fun part - the actual piecing!