Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexi Quilt question >

Hexi Quilt question

Hexi Quilt question

Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Hexi Quilt question

Can you please show me how you bound your Hexi quilts? I have a table topper for a client and they want me to bind it but without cutting it down I'm not sure the best way to do this. Can you guys show me what you have done?

thanks!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM

Cut your binding on the bias, there is a UTube video about the way to sew in the valley and on the mountain top of the quilt. Hard to explain, need to see it done.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM

I should mention that these are small 2" hexi's and I don't think a normal binding technique will work. It would be so many corners!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Here's one method:
http://sewfearless.com/2014/02/finis...thout-binding/

Here's another:
http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html
Old 10-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Quite often the edges are folded down and hand sewn in a "knife edge" finish. A slightly easier variation to this is to basically applique the edges to a single band of background fabric.

I recently bought a top at a Goodwill which is very large (almost king sized) but made out of tiny little hexes (they measure 3/4" on the edge), I'm going to keep the overall in/out of the blocks but I am going to trim off the outer points and not do each tiny little hex. I'll be using a narrow French bias binding, I need to do some tests first to see the mechanics of how much/what angle of fold to use but am not going to be too worried on what it looks like on the back...

With the quilting design I have planned, it will work well as I will simply be quilting around the "paths" of each flower, with a more complex design on the inside of each. Basically the outer edge will be where the quilting line is in the other blocks. In order to do the quilting on a long arm, I'll need to attach the outer edges to strips of fabric first. It's going to be a challenge to me! But I am willing to work on the quilting and binding on the finished top even if I an fundamentally unprepared to do the handwork required for the top.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Do a facing binding. You place strips of the backing fabric face down on the hexagon edge. You pin and then follow the hexagon outline on your sewing machine, clip into the valleys and fold the backing fabric to the back. Carefully manipulate the edges out and press. Hand stitch the facing to the backing. If you put facing a quilt into YouTube, you should be able to watch how it’s done.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Do a facing binding. You place strips of the backing fabric face down on the hexagon edge. You pin and then follow the hexagon outline on your sewing machine, clip into the valleys and fold the backing fabric to the back. Carefully manipulate the edges out and press. Hand stitch the facing to the backing. If you put facing a quilt into YouTube, you should be able to watch how it’s done.
That was going to be my suggestion also. That you tube video should be very helpful and I wish I had seen it last spring.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM

http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html This is the way I did one of my hexie quilts. It turned out quite nicely. I have also "appliqued" the top to a strip of fabric, then bound in the normal way. Not sure which I prefer.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Here is a good Marci Baker tutorial. I used it to go around a sort-of scalloped edges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe...&feature=share

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602439[/ATTACH]

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails facing-front.jpg   fd-finish-back.jpg