Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question & Answer of the day! >

Question & Answer of the day!

Question & Answer of the day!

Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Question & Answer of the day!

Marge954, got me hooked on this one! Thanks, Marge!

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine?

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home?

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit?

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies?

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine?

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks Endora! I was getting ready to post more questions this afternoon but you beat me to it

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, my first quilts were made on a treadle.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? Never got to babysit for pay. I had 5 younger siblings so I was the free babysittter.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I do. It's over sized and as I've gotten older I'm worried I'll fall in and get stuck there til DH gets home.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Never. DH will occasionally press a dress shirt if he has to go to the funeral home.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Endora View Post

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes. Sewed through my finger, too.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? NO! Never! Ever!

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? $0.25 / hour

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I guess so - I consider a wringer-washer to be "old-fashioned. A hang-crank wringer even older-fashioned.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)?
I will iron some line-dried clothes - mostly pants/shorts of DH.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

LOL, Marge!

I kept checking and checking for a new one from you, but nothing, so today I thought, maybe I'll start one just to give Marge, a break.

Just realized I forgot to answer my own questions. ROFL!

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, many times, even from the time I was a young girl.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? Nooo, LOL!

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? .25 and .50 cents an hour (for many years)! Like yourself, Marge, I too, was the built-in family babysitter when my siblings were little, outside of babysitting for neighbours outside the home.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No, I changed my kids in their cribs most of the time.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I did up until about 8 years ago, but splurged on a modern front-loading set. Still miss my old top-loader...

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Regularly! Like I'm ironing today!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Bearisgray
Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes. Sewed through my finger, too.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? NO! Never! Ever!

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? $0.25 / hour

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I guess so - I consider a wringer-washer to be "old-fashioned. A hang-crank wringer even older-fashioned.

I will iron some line-dried clothes - mostly pants/shorts of DH.
Ouch! The treadle needle through the finger answer made me cringe! Now that would hurt!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Bearisgray. Love the sounds of your old-fashioned wringer washing machine! I wish I had room for one, because I'd buy one, just so I could wash clothes in it once in a while! Crazy me, I know.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No, never had one

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? 50 cents

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? Yes, but I usually changed them on beds!

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? No but I miss mine. I love soaking quilts in them. I didn't think about that when I bought a front load

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Almost never
Old 08-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? no, but I want one

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? my mom has ones I made

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit?started at .50, ended at 1.00

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? yes

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I have a front loader. wanted one till I got one, now I want a top loader.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? very little for special occasions

Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, but I have one

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? I didn't even have those in the 70's

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? 50 cents. 75 after midnight

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No kids

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I use top loading machine but its hardly old fashioned. I bought it in 2013 and it's high efficiency and really nice

I iron clothing and pillowcases. I like thing nice and not wrinkly
Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Treadle machine: Yes.

Crocheted flower pots? No.

Babysitting: 50 cents from the "rich" neighbors, 25 cents from the rest!

Changing Table: Yes. Homemade dresser/changer combo.

Old fashioned top loader? You bet!! Running right now... love it! Also have a working wringer washer.

Iron? Yes!! Dislike wrinkles....too distracting!!