Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone taken Nova Montgomery Featherweight maint. class? >

Anyone taken Nova Montgomery Featherweight maint. class?

Anyone taken Nova Montgomery Featherweight maint. class?

Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Anyone taken Nova Montgomery Featherweight maint. class?

I am going to her all day class soon. Could you tell a difference in the sewing of the FW? My FW has started to be finicky. I don't trust the repair guy here that suppose to know it all about FW machines. He thinks being old and sewn on one is a qualification.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 AM

I suggest you post this on the vintage machine forum. There was a post about Nova Montgomery a week or so ago.

bkay
Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM

My cousin and I took her class together. We both really enjoyed it. We learned about cleaning, oiling and lubricating the FW. It was money well spent.

If your FW needs any repair, this isn't the class for that.

Each FW is a little different--mine has a nice sound when sewing. The stitch is good. I still sew on my Janome machines since they have more bells and whistles and larger throat plate for quilting.

But the FW is a great machine. I grew up sewing on one and even made my wedding dress and the suit my husband married me in on a FW.

Enjoy your class!
Old 08-26-2017, 01:08 PM

With finicky as the guiding word, it sounds like the right type of class for the situation. You will probably get to sort out a lot of minor issues, even a couple of major ones. What ever is causing the trouble, I'm sure the expert there will point you to the right place for the solution. I usually trust the old repair guys in my town, there aren't many available anymore but they know how to sort out both new and old machines. There are a few younger ones too.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I took her class several year ago. I learned a lot about machines not just the FW. There were a couple of FWs that needed repair and Nova told the owners what to tell the repairman what work needed to be done. The class was able to see what was wrong with them and why. She also repairs all FWs and will take it with her and ship it back to you. At least she did then.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:49 AM

When I first read the titile on this post, I thought it was a small Montgomery Ward model. Nova is a Bernina model, and I thought it might have been used on an earlier machine too. I know there was a tiny General Electrics or Sewhandy similar to the Featherweight, my mind was leading me in the wrong directly, Nova isn't a very common name.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I am going to her all day class soon. Could you tell a difference in the sewing of the FW? My FW has started to be finicky. I don't trust the repair guy here that suppose to know it all about FW machines. He thinks being old and sewn on one is a qualification.
Have you watched the YouTube videos posted by "The Featherweight Shop"? You could almost build a machine from parts by watching their very detailed and informative videos............from BASIC oiling and lubricating, to tension, to troubleshooting issues, they are wonderful.

You can find these from their website (www.thefeatherweightshop.com) and then look under SCHOOLHOUSE.............Hope these help!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Try the featherweight shop. They are awesome people and will help with maintaining, cleaning, refurbishing, everything! Great service, tutorials, and featherweight parts! Www.thefeatherweightshop.com