Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies?????

Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies?????

Did they forget to open it up?

I picked it up last night, and went to put in the bobbin and noticed it was a little dusty. So, I unscrewed the throat plate and sure enough it was dusty and there were 'dust-bunnies' everywhere. I hadn't dusted in there since I changed the throat plate before the last project.

What the heck do they do at a 1-year maintenance?

I am going to call them at 10AM and find out, but I'd like to hear what you all think they should have done. I thought it was 'clean, oil, adjust as necessary' like 'oil, lube, filter' for my car
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

How much were you charged for the service? Sounds like they stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. It should have been really cleaned out inside and all working parts checked, oiled, they should have cleaned in, around, and under the bobbin case area and oiled the wick there as well. I'd either ask them to reservice it at no additional cost to you, or refund your money. Have you already tried cleaning it out? If not Take a few pictures of the bobbin area and the dust with the lint.
    Last edited by eastermarie; 02-25-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    It sounds to me like they did not even look at it

It doesn't sound like they serviced it. A 1 year maintenance should involve a thorough cleaning.

I would take it back in and ask what they did and if they reply they cleaned it show them the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by eastermarie View Post
    How much were you charged for the service? Sounds like they stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. It should have been really cleaned out inside and all working parts checked, oiled, they should have cleaned in, around, and under the bobbin case area and oiled the wick there as well. I'd either ask them to reservice it at no additional cost to you, or refund your money. Have you already tried cleaning it out? If not Take a few pictures of the bobbin area and the dust with the lint.
    funny thing about the service - it is normally $60 - does that sound about right? but they are doing a charity promotion so I had it done in exchange for a lot of canned goods. So, I went to supermarket and bought big cans of meaty stuff and tuna and huge cans of veggies. (What is in my pantry has probably expired anyway)

Maybe it was a mistake and when the clerk said the machine was ready it was a mistake, but they had looked at it because there was a fabric scrap under the foot, with some test straight-stitches on it. I called them last night but the clerk didn't know what the maintenance entailed so I will call back today.

It is only 15 minutes from my house so I will go there.

Funny thing - in the kerfuffle when I discovered the dust bunnies, I lost the square I had just started piecing and tore up the quilting lab only to find it tucked behind the machine in the well. Not very productive evening! LOL
    SueSew

I would definitely take it back to them, and I would also find somewhere else to get it serviced at, and I would let them know what I planned on doing. I would also write a letter to the Janome headquarters and complain about them.

that happened to me once only with a "boom box" of my DD's at Radio Shack. they insisted they fixed the broken part, broken since purchased from them, kept it two weeks and didn't touch it. It was so obvious and they didn't back down until I demanded a regional or whatever manager meet me at the store to view it. It was in their possession throughout. Sure enough, it was obvious to the manager I was right. They replaced it on the spot. I was nice at each step, making sure I would not be "wrong" anywhere. So, you should see what they have to say but if there was dust, it should not have been there upon return. at the very least, a maintenance involves oiling and to oil, there should not be any dust.

Oh boy that does not sound good!!

Just got my Janome 6600 back from it's yearly maintenance. Haven't used it yet, but I will be sure to check it out before hand. Where I live in So Cal they charge $97 for a yearly maintenance! Maybe I'm getting ripped off
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Take it back, my babylock comes back spotless inside, they should vacuum it when they do the service. I would find a new dealer if they don't fix it

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=TerryQuilter;5007214]Just got my Janome 6600 back from it's yearly maintenance. Haven't used it yet, but I will be sure to check it out before hand. Where I live in So Cal they charge $97 for a yearly maintenance! Maybe I'm getting ripped off[/QUOTE

It is between $69 and $89 here in Kansas City, Missouri.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Pricing sure varies - this was a free-one-year maintenance due to charity promotion - maint in exchange for 15 cans of food for the homeless. Normally it is $60, but I have seen $69. This is in the Boston suburbs. I have a 3160QDC not a 6600. It costs more to work on a Mercedes!
    I talked with the owner this AM and she said it must have been given back by mistake before the tech serviced the machine as there were a bunch of same machines in for service. She said if I bring it back she will do it herself, right away! Can't ask for more than that!

So, it pays to look under the hood when they do the oil change!
    SueSew

Every time I have taken a machine in it has come back cleaned. I think yours was not serviced.

Blog Entries
    I just got a price on yearly maintanace. $150....in MA

My yearly maintenance is around $80, but my machine comes back absolutely spotless inside and out. They always have a little handwritten tag hanging on it to say what they did, even if it was just cleaning and oiling. Oh, and I get a 15% discount on fabric and 20% discount on Bernina accessories for a full year after service. I usually save enough to cover at least half of the service!

Pam

Bad service is one reason I stick to the 'antique' Singer machines and have learned to service them myself. I even have my own pink toolbox.

Shari

I would bring the machine back and tell them that you paid for maintenance and no maintenance could have been done.

Blog Entries
    My dealer takes the cover off of the machine, cleans everything, oils as necessary, tunes & adjusts as needed and puts in a new needle.

Wow, just when you think you've heard it all.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

Shame on them. That is the most basic part of cleaning.

Blog Entries
    That is what is to be done!
    They are to go over the entire machine clean, oil make any adjustment & if it is anything major or out of the ordinary they are to call you & ask if you want them to take care of it.
    On that note I also have a Janome I took it in for reg maintance cleaning all the usual stuff sense I got it back it has been ione thing after another. Now it is been sent to the company when I ask about how long it would be gone there reply was NO IDEA not what I wanted to hear I've already been withou a machine for longer than I care to say.
    I have had this brand of sewing machine for years & it is not your bottom of the line IT IS THE TOP OF THE LINE.
    GOOD LUCK

I would be livid. I would take it right back to them. If this was a Janome authorized dealer, I would contact Janome and let them know what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by eastermarie View Post
    I agree. Follow up. Good luck--Kill 'em with kindness!
    Lori McC

Blog Entries
    Where i live here in Illinois they charge $129.00, i just had my pfaff in, and he did a beautiful job, but he has been in business for over fifty years, his dad started the business and this guy always worked with his dad when his dad died he decided to stay and his business just keeps growing, i am happy for him. i also know that a small piece broke on the machine, it was the threader piece, he fixed it, didn't charge extra, and he always takes the broken piece and puts it in a small plastic bag and puts it in the storage case so i will see it.. Anyway i am always happy to get my machine back because he does such an outstanding job, and never any dust bunnies
    Mary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast