Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Charity for Harvey and other disasters >

Charity for Harvey and other disasters

Charity for Harvey and other disasters

Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Default Charity for Harvey and other disasters

This is a thought provoking article about well-intentioned giving of hand-crafted items in a disaster situation.
http://whileshenaps.com/2013/06/the-...r-charity.html
Old 08-28-2017, 04:29 PM

So glad you posted this. Money is always the best way to go to help people. Certified organizations know the immediate needs and can use the money to help in the best way possible. Don't forget prayers!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:34 PM

Thank you for posting this really appropriate advice!
Old 08-28-2017, 06:18 PM

QuiltnNan,

Thank you for posting this. While it makes me sad, it is probably a necessary dose of reality.

If only there were always welcome receivers for our quilts!
Old 08-28-2017, 06:37 PM

good advice here--as a former REd Cross volunteer, right now those folks in Houston are really needing a place to stay--which might evolve into needing a place to live for longer term as even houses suffering only "minor" flooding will be hit with mold/mildew,mud and perhaps critters! They need food--and someone to fix it cause they are without electricity/kitchens/pots& pans, etc. They are needing prescriptions refilled, clothing that will work for them (not tons of hand-me-downs), basics for setting up housekeeping, the chance to get back to normal--school, work, etc. Cleaning supplies to allow them to salvage what they can, plastic tubs to put salvaged items into, laundry service (the Tide trucks are a blessing in these situations). One thing that the REd Cross, Salvation Army, etc attempt to do is to access as much as can be supplied locally so that stores and business unaffected will be able to continue to function, provide jobs, etc. That being said, donations are able to go a very long way in these situations.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:16 AM

In addition to money charities often need volunteers..at least the animal shelter can use more people willing to to hands on work.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:08 AM

Thanks so much for this post. Right now Houston, etc is so flooded they probably have no available warehouse. Basic needs are what is wanted to be taking care of. So donating to a charity is the best idea.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
This is a thought provoking article about well-intentioned giving of hand-crafted items in a disaster situation.
http://whileshenaps.com/2013/06/the-...r-charity.html
Excellent article. Thanks!! That embedded video is really good. I've noticed several places where you have the option to donate $10 to Salvation Army, Red Cross, etc. When you watch that video and realize $10 could feed 20 people you start to get a good idea of how much better that is than donating a quilt or hand me down clothing. I've been involved in dog rescue for many years and when we need to raise funds I always stress the fact that there is so much power in small donations from many people. That $10 donation can be just as important as $1000 from someone else.
This link might help if you haven't already done something.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/u...ies-scams.html
Old 08-29-2017, 04:45 AM

Very appropriate reminders.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
good advice here--as a former REd Cross volunteer, right now those folks in Houston are really needing a place to stay--which might evolve into needing a place to live for longer term as even houses suffering only "minor" flooding will be hit with mold/mildew,mud and perhaps critters! They need food--and someone to fix it cause they are without electricity/kitchens/pots& pans, etc. They are needing prescriptions refilled, clothing that will work for them (not tons of hand-me-downs), basics for setting up housekeeping, the chance to get back to normal--school, work, etc. Cleaning supplies to allow them to salvage what they can, plastic tubs to put salvaged items into, laundry service (the Tide trucks are a blessing in these situations). One thing that the REd Cross, Salvation Army, etc attempt to do is to access as much as can be supplied locally so that stores and business unaffected will be able to continue to function, provide jobs, etc. That being said, donations are able to go a very long way in these situations.
Agree & also former volunteer, hubby still helps with disaster, even from home authorizing cards clients receive onsite. I especially liked the Charity Navigator she linked to. I have also shared this article on my fb business page. Thanks Nan