Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest way to machine quilt log cabin? >

Easiest way to machine quilt log cabin?

Easiest way to machine quilt log cabin?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Easiest way to machine quilt log cabin?

Ten years ago, my oldest daughter got married. I machine quilted a log cabin quilt for her and her husband. Then I started to hand-quilt it. I was really looking forward to doing it.

Much to my horror, I HATE it. Even more to my horror, it's been ten years and I still haven't finished it.

I've done the center 15 blocks of the 72 in acorn and oak leaves and a swirl of maple leaves on alternate blocks. Now, just want to do the simplest thing possible and be done.

What is the simplest way out of this?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Welcome.

I would just FMQ it, meander, large stipple and call it done.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

So you have the center blocks done? If you need 16 to make the center symmetrical, I would hand quilt that last block. After that I would just machine quilt in a meander or large stipple, as Jingle suggests. It will still look great!!!

Edit: Have you machine quilted before? If not, be aware that you need to secure the quilt layers well before starting with the machine. Is the quilt thread-basted? Pin-basted?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Since the quilting design is mainly in the center, it sounds like, I would just do stitch in the ditch for the rest of it. Although it is a lot of sitd for a log cabin, you don't really have to do every seam. Just enough to stabilize it. Your center will then be the focal point. You could also do a search on this site for log cabin quilts and quilting to find some examples. I recently quilted a log cabin on my home sewing machine on which I did feathers in the lightest section and sitd on the rest.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM

I ditto Jingle. I am not a stitch in the ditch person. I did a log cabin for a wedding gift a number of years ago and meandered until I cam to the red center then I make a heart and meandered off again covering all of the quilt.The bride and groom liked the little hearts and it reiterated the idea that the heart is the center of the home.