Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question: Label for quilt I am making (for friend to give to her grandson) >

Question: Label for quilt I am making (for friend to give to her grandson)

Question: Label for quilt I am making (for friend to give to her grandson)

Old 09-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Question: Label for quilt I am making (for friend to give to her grandson)

Please forgive me if this has been answered before...I tried to find the answer using search and I probably just don't know the proper words to search for.

I am making a Rainbow Fish quilt for a friend...she is going to be gifting this to her grandson for Christmas. When doing a quilt you are not actually giving to the ultimate recipient, do you still put a label on the quilt? Or do I ask her if she wants me to make and put on a label that references her gift to her grandson? Such as "To Tyler, Christmas 2017, Love and Hugs, Gramma Sue"

This is the first time I have ever made a quilt for someone who is gifting it to someone else, so I am totally unsure what to do. Usually I do a label with a short note to the recipient and my name, city and date. But I don't think that is appropriate in these circumstances...Not sure if it makes any difference, but I am not charging any money for this, as I don't quilt for money, just for love .

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

i would definitely get her input for the label, and if she wants, you could add your name in smaller letters as the maker, and location
Old 09-04-2017, 01:14 PM

It would probably be best if you ask your friend what she would like you to do about a label.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I would do a label with her name on it and have it ready for when she sees it. She can then dicide if she wants it hand sewn on the back or not.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:58 PM

My sister asked me to make a quilt for her stepsons wedding, I put a blank label on it and gave her the pen to write whatever she wanted.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:25 PM

I agree with you. I would make a label with her name, Christmas and the year and the grandson's name. I know in the future it might look like grandma made it. But that's a small thing. It will be cherished all the more.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 PM

I put labels on all quilts that I have completed. I do not put labels on other types of projects, such as bags or pillows. The label is mainly so someone looking at the quilt in the future has some information about it. It really doesn't matter if it's for your own home or a gift. Also, if it is going in a show, you might need a second or specific label for the show.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM

I would ask her to make the label (with you on fabric) herself.
It could be in her Hand.
Mike