Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting do you prefer and why? >

What batting do you prefer and why?

What batting do you prefer and why?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:58 AM

Default What batting do you prefer and why?

Hi - Just wanted to get some opinions. I've used the Quilter's Dream wool batting in my last few queen size quilts. I like the drape and lightweight feel; however, I do not like the bearding. So, this time I was thinking of switching it up. Plus, I'm making for a wedding gift and don't know if they might be allergic to wool. I don't like the QD Request because it's so thin. I like a quilt to feel like a quilt and to keep you warm. Has anyone used QD Deluxe Cotton? Or, do you prefer an 80/20 and which one? All opinions are appreciated!

Thank you!
LaDonna
Old 09-08-2017, 05:28 AM

I've tried almost every type of batting out there. I choose the one that the quilt calls for and who it's for. Probably the one best for heft and warmth and showing off quilting stitches would be an 80/20 cotton/poly, but there are so many different types of batt it's hard to say which I prefer.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:30 AM

The Hobbs Tuscany wool/cotton blend is lovely. It is cushier than plain cotton and has a better loft because of the wool. It also dried really nicely after pre-soaking.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:41 AM

I use a variety, too - I stash batting when it's on sale so I keep a few different cotton and poly batts on hand. I like most of QD's battings, but I also tend to like a thinner batt. QD does have a "Select" line that is thicker than the Request line. I've only used Hobbs 80/20 once and unfortunately I really didn't like it, it felt icky to me. It was fine once it was in the quilt though.

On the wool that you got bearding - are you longarming it? I've used their wool batt once and really liked pretty much everything about it, but I tied that particular quilt. I had intended to get more next time I spotted a sale, but not if it beards on a DSM!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
The Hobbs Tuscany wool/cotton blend is lovely. It is cushier than plain cotton and has a better loft because of the wool. It also dried really nicely after pre-soaking.
I also love Hobbs Tuscany wool/cotton. Very nice loft. I get mine from Connecting Threads when they have their 30% off sale.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 AM

My favorite batting is Soft n' Bright by The Warm Company, which is a polyester batting. I use the 1/8" or 1/4" on almost all my quilts. It drapes beautifully!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Sewnoma - Yes, I am long-arming it (or I'm paying someone else to do it each time). I do really like the wool, but I'm kind of a perfectionist and I see the little strands of wool coming through (bearding). I called Quilter's Dream, and they told me to spray with a non-static spray, which I did. Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:41 AM

Thank you for your reply and also Joe'smom about the Tuscany Cotton/Wool blend. I am going to read about it. This is a modern quilt, so I don't think I need too much puckering, even though personally I really like that look.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 AM

I like the Tuscany Cotton/Wool blend. But, one of the nicest feeling quilts I have ever made was with silk batting. I think it was a Hobbs product. I made it into a king sized quilt. I really look forward to use this batting again.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Once I switched to QD, I never looked back. I Love the stuff. I've never had an issue with QD bearding, sorry.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-26-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps