Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1926 La Vincadora 128 damaged case >

1926 La Vincadora 128 damaged case

1926 La Vincadora 128 damaged case

Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Default 1926 La Vincadora 128 damaged case

I am new here and this is my first post so please bear with me. On Monday I received a La Vincadora 128 Singer knee bar machine. When she sent it, it was in pristine condition but USPS did some damage to it ( a claim is in process). Everything on the machine was fixable with a little TLC (besides having to replace the motor mount). My problem is the case was pretty badly damaged and I would really like to be able to repair it. My original goal before seeing the damage the case took was just to refinish the wood parts of the machine to bring it back to its old glory and I am still planning on doing that. But, first I know have to repair the splinter to the veneer (some that go all the way through to the interior of the case.) I know that when I refinish the case I am going to have to find a new singer decal to replace the one on it and am okay with that. My main problem is I have no clue how to fix the damage that was done and could use some help/tips.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580553[/ATTACH]
one spot from the outside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580554[/ATTACH]
same spot from the inside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580555[/ATTACH]
the second spot on the outside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580556[/ATTACH]
the second spot on the inside (crack outlined in blue for easier visibility)

I could really use all the help I can get to fix this and bring it back its glory.
Also, I would like to know if people prefered sanding or stripping to get the old varnish off.

Thank you for your time,
Kaitlyn
Attached Thumbnails arrival-7-.jpg   inisde-1-.jpg   arrival-6-.jpg   inside-2-edit-.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:50 PM

that doesn't all look like shipping damage, more what we would see in age damage.

welcome to the board!
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Kaitlyn, I have similar case damage for a Singer 128 that I received in the mail from shopgoodwill dot com. I plan on repairing it by gently compressing the spool pin "punch" back to the original shape after I put white glue in and between the plywood layers. I will probably have to cut with a band saw the contour of case's exterior into a piece of scrap wood to clamp in place and re-form the case's damaged contour as I re-glue the "punch through." I will then use the techniques described in some of the 'stickies' of this blog to refresh the shellac finish on the case. Good luck with yours!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 AM

Thank you so much. I was able to use wood glue and painters tape to push that punch back down and then wood filler and some sanding to get it smooth. I am going to finish sanding today and restain it. You can almost not tell. Some of the scratches are from normal wear and tear but the huge splinters and gouges were caused by usps as I have pictures from when she sent it to me. She had won it on shop goodwill but has more antique machines than her husband will let her keep. (I could easily get to that point). She was able to find me a replacement singer decal for the front so it will almost look like new. I will attach pictures when it is complete so yall can see how it turned out.