Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Ideas to Flavor Plain Yogurt >

Need Ideas to Flavor Plain Yogurt

Need Ideas to Flavor Plain Yogurt

Old 09-15-2017, 05:58 PM

The powdered drink mix packets for flavoring water can be found in sugar free or stevia sweetened. I buy the small packets that you add to 16-20 oz water bottles. I add it to taste and keep the remaining powder well sealed for later.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
My Dr. has me on a diet. I can't eat my usual flavored yogurt, I have to eat the plain yogurt. I need ideas to add some flavor to it. I tried lemon extract (not bad) and thawed frozen strawberries and berries (better), but I'm hoping I can get some more ideas from my crafty friends on the board. Thanks for your help.
I use plain nonfat yogurt all the time but use it in smoothies...I will add slimfast powder sometimes, frozen fruit (from a package), frozen bananas (adds a lot of flavor). Works for me.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
A little cocoa powder and a packet of Splenda really changes up the game.

Also, have you tried So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt? Lo cal, light, slight coconut taste, really yummy with fruit.
I just discovered the Almond Coconut milk...it is so delicious and only has 30 or less calories per 8 ounces. Yum.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 PM

I like the combination of half-thawed frozen blueberries, the original Fiber One cereal, and Walden Farms Calorie Free Pancake Syrup with my plain Greek yogurt. It has been one of my favorite breakfasts ever since I heard someone from one of those extreme diet shows speak. He demonstrated how weighing each serving of the ingredients in a bowl on a kitchen scale saves a bunch of dirty measuring cups.

I buy the plain Greek yogurt from Costco. I have to buy the Walden Farms Syrup online since I can't find it in local stores. It's worth it because it tastes exactly like maple syrup.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:10 AM

Going in a totally different direction here...I make a sauce with yogurt, fresh lemon juice, garlic powder and a bit of cayenne. Then mix up some canned salmon with minced garlic, onions, parsley, bread crumbs and an egg. I shape it into patties, and brown them in a skillet with just a drizzle of olive oil. I serve them with the lemon yogurt sauce. It makes for a quick and tasty lunch.

I take care of my mother, who needs to, but absolutely refuses to, make changes to her diet. We had some really big arguments when I tried to make changes to her diet. I finally realized that I could not change the way she eats, so I had to change the way that I cook for her, so I have had to find sneaky ways of making her eat a little healthier without changing the taste or texture of her food.

Some of the things I do:

I make my own yogurt, and add extra powdered milk to the regular milk for the extra nutrients and blend into the sour cream and mayonnaise.

For scrambled eggs and omelettes, I substitute soft tofu for half of the eggs.

For rice dishes, I started using half rice, half quinoa.

I grind oatmeal into a powder and add it to pancake mix.

I've started using more ground beef, except I substitute half of the meat for one of two things: TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), or I mix it with grated carrots, zucchinni, chopped spinach, add an egg and some bread crumbs to bind it together, and a dash of Worchestershire for flavor. The TVP does make the meat a little more dense, but I can usually get away with it. With the grated vegetables, however, no one has ever noticed them at all.

She automatically adds salt to everything, even before she tastes it, so the sneakiest thing I did was cover up half the holes in the salt shaker!
Old 09-16-2017, 04:57 AM

A teaspoon of raspberry freezer jam really packs a lot of flavor. It makes it taste like the stir in sweetened kind.

I also like a tiny bit of honey, with cocoa powder... makes it taste like chocolate pudding. Delicious used as a dip with fresh strawberries.

Peaches with nutmeg and cinnamon really gives a peach pie kind of flavor, too.
If you haven't guessed, I eat a lot of fat free plain greek yogurt;-)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Any type of jam or fruit spread is great. You can even use sugar free.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM
mac

Wow, everyone has some great ideas. I hope you keep them coming, especially the ones used in cooking.

I've been on a diet since Novmber of last year and I have lost 54 pounds. I am starting to get tired of having the same things over and over. These new ideas are really a help.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:13 PM

I frequently make home made yogurt. Yes, I heat the milk, add the starter that has active cultures and put it in the incubator for 6-8 hours. I make 1/2 gal at a time about every 2 weeks. Since I am lactose intolerant, it is a way for me to be able to have milk. I do not like sweet things, so no sugar or sweetener for me. (The store bought yogurts are too sweet for me.) My favorite flavorings include any berry (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry--fresh or frozen), peaches (fresh or frozen), apple with cinnamon, or banana. Adding vanilla or almond extract added to the taste. Peaches with almond extract is fantastic. Sometimes I add chopped walnuts or pecans.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:07 PM

I love nuts! So you could try different chopped nuts-- I am thinking you may not be able to use granola due to the carbs. I make my own granola, and it is always good in yogurt. The sweetener I'd suggest also the Stevia. Extracts can be overpowering, so I too would recommend the vanilla or almond. I would use these when flavoring ricotta cheese for a mock ice cream when on South Beach Diet. Cinnamon might also be a possibility. You could also try banana. Fruit dips with yogurt lime juice, and stevia are good. Fruit smoothies with fresh or frozen fruit, yogurt, stevia, and protein powder are good. You can add spinach or baby kale to the smoothie as well. Frozen drinks like fruit smoothies seem to want more sweetness to taste it in my opinion.

greek yogurt is very popular, but I find it very sour, especially without sweetness.